Chapter 30 | Let go

"Hello?" I spoke, holding the telephone's receiver.

"We are talking from 119. It is to inform-" a gravelly male voice suddenly stops. "How old are you?"

The sudden question made me babble.

"Umm..8. No, 9."

"Is there anyone else at your home? Elders?"

"Umm, mom is not home from work, yet. And dad is showe-"

"Who's it, Hana?" says dad, standing at the end of the hallway, buttoning his cuffs.

"Dad, someone from 119."

His expressions changed. Small lines appear on his forehead, as he raises his eyebrows. And then, he runs towards me and snatches the receiver.

"Yes? What's wrong?"

He listens.

"Yes."

He listens for a long time now. I wait to inquire about his reason for worrying. 119? I read it somewhere. Where, where? As dad stood frozen, I remembered.

Ambulance! I am such a genius.

And then, the receiver drops, crashing into the glass beneath. Dad is shivering; his whole body is erect and trembling.

"Dad?"

He falls abruptly on the ground, but he says nothing.

"Dad, what happened?"

He looks at me, and clings to my body, spreading his arms around my back, even though I was tiny. And then, the hall echoed his screams, my sweater all wet from his tears. I cry too. Not because I knew that mom met an accident, but seeing dad cry like this shattered my heart to pieces. He never cried like that before. He never clung to me and cried.

"Dad?" I inquired again, weeping.

"Hana, your mom," was all he said.

************

My eyes bang open from the old, terrorizing memory. I am too hot and sweating wrapped in a blanket. I need some air.

But, wait.

Where am I?

The location looks new but familiar. I looked around the bedroom. There are just a few pieces of furniture in the commodious room. The room is dimly lit with a yellow light on the corner. My mind refuses to recall any memories of the day. And then, the door catches my attention. I've seen it, just recently. The pattern on the door.

Jungkook's bedroom.

I stood up, shocked. What am I doing here? I rush to the window, separating the curtains. It's dark enough, but the city is still brightly lit. Not too late. But why am I here? I look down. I am wearing a sleeping suit that is definitely Jungkook's size. My arm is wrapped with a bandage, and it stings as I move it.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

I sit down, head in my hands. What was it? What happened?

Remember, you slow-ass brain!

Oh.

I fainted.

The flood of memory gushes down the lane of my brain. I was sick; I fainted, right outside the building. And now, I am here at Jungkook's, but not at my house?

My mind is bursting out of questions and only one person can answer them.

Jungkook.

I rush out of the door, slamming it after me. Jungkook is not anywhere. The hall is dimly lit too. I search for him, peeking my head in his studio, dressing room, and ending up in the kitchen. There he is pouring something in a cup.