08: friends for today

the look and tone in her voice sounded genuine. i wanted to tell her the same thing but... we shouldn't be close.

i can't become close with her, and she especially shouldn't become close to me.

"at school, i never made any real friends." she admitted, "everyone makes it look so easy, how come it's hard for me?" she wondered, looking down.

"so... can i consider you as a friend?" she asked with eyes full of hope, she bit her lip nervously waiting for my answer.

i shook my head, "what...? but, we can't-"

"i know. just this time and we don't have to be friends anymore..." she pleaded.

i just nodded, i've never met anyone who saw me as someone this important in their eyes.

she spoke again, "i wish you told me why though. you brought me up here, you chose to interact with me today..."

a heaved sigh rolled out before i held both her hands, "i don't know why i did that either." i murmured.

her hands squeezed mine tightly, "oh well! whatever. I'm glad you did." she smiled cheerfully. she let go and looked to the sky, holding her palm out to the stars.

"-if you didn't, i might've never got to claim my star." she smiled softly.

hisano, i can't stop staring at you.

even i was hoping i'd meet you here again.

we went down the stairs, she sped down them while i tried to catch up.

it feels good to talk like this to someone after so long.

when we got back into the laundromat, our clothes were waiting for us.

i opened the washing machine and the lavender scent filled the room, my nose was getting very pleased right now.

i pulled out the wet clothing and tried not to stare at it, my heart was aching when i looked at it before i shoved it in the dryer.

and i clicked the buttons, it made a noisy tune every time my finger met with one of them.

as i finished, her eyes darted at me. she stared with a mischievous look.

we've known each other for such a short amount of time, why'd i feel so close to her already?

"want to go for a walk? we have an hour." she suggested.

i shrugged because i was unsure, and so did she, murmuring "suit yourself." before she headed to the door.

"wait for me-" I called out, she was ready to leave me behind so easily.

i could only see the back of her head, but through the reflection of the glass door, i saw her smiling proudly to herself.

she opened the door and the breeze hit us once again, i didn't think she'd want to go back out since earlier she looked cold. but, guess not.

"have you been around here, like the stores and stuff?" she asked, "do you live near?"

and ongoing questions came spitting out of her mind, all of them were unanswered though.

with her, i felt safe to answer them.

but i still shouldn't answer.

it's just as bad though, spending time with this girl is just as bad as letting her get to know me.

maybe not, maybe that slight difference is actually a really big one.

it'll save her and i both if i don't tell her anything.

"-do you have any homemade food that you like? is your mother's cooking good?" she asked.

i stopped walking at the mention of my mom, i looked down with widened eyes.

"or dad...?" she added.

what was it that my mom made? ah, i remember. she was really good at making soup.

"soup." i said under my breath.

her eyes sparkled when i answered, "want to get soup then?" she asked excitedly.

"okay." i replied.

"i know a really good soup place around here." she beamed in happiness.

all i could reply with was okay, and she didn't mind it.

she didn't even mind it if i didn't answer at all.

she just enjoyed my company.

when i first wrote this i was
planning on making it like a very short fic.

but here we are... i'm currently
writing the 29th chapter 😭😭