33: haircut

not long after, hisano finished. she had new clothes on and dampened hair.

she had a small towel to dry it a bit.

"did you read it?" she asked.

he looked down and smiled, keeping his excitement to himself, "yeah."

he went into the bathroom and made her sit on the ledge of the bathtub. she was facing the shower wall while he stood on the bathroom rug.

"so, where are the scissors?" he asked, looking side to side.

"everything's on the sink and behind the mirror." she said lazily.

he quickly got started and held the scissors firmly while his other hand held her damp hair.

jungwon's not a professional at cutting hair, obviously. but he has cut his own hair secretly, and from experience, he enjoyed it.

all he has to do is trust himself.

he didn't cut it all at once, he started from one side and snipped all the way to the other.

he forgot to ask how short she wanted it.

a small gasp escaped from jungwon, causing hisano to turn her head, "what?!" she asked, worried.

"nothing. i just forgot to ask how short you wanted it..." he said guiltily.

her hair was already cut, so there was no point in asking anymore.

it wasn't too short, just lower than her shoulders. she looked nice, her hair looked much more healthy.

he touched it up and finally turned her around.

she looked up at him and the more he stared, the more his face turned red.

"your pretty." he muttered, looking to the side while rubbing his nape awkwardly.

she stood up and ran to the mirror, "wow! it's so beautiful." she smiled.

"from now on, i'll be the one to cut your hair when it gets too long, okay?" he said.

this time, he was one sticking his pinky out.

she laughed and linked them, "promise." she stuck her tongue out playfully before running away.

he stayed in the bathroom and stood there for a few seconds before covering his face with both hands.

he crouched down and hid his flustered face, "ah, hisano." he uttered.

"my heart..."

~~

the day passed by quickly and he had to go home.

the two were leaving together, jungwon bowed to thank her grandpa for letting him stay.

they walked side by side since hisano offered to walk him home, she said she'd just go home as well.

it was getting dark and silent. there wasn't much to talk about.

"this means i'll be passing by your house." hisa said with her hands behind her back.

"yeah." he nodded.

"do you live in a house or an apartment?"

"apartment."

"cool!" she said, "i used to live in an apartment. there were lots of kids who played around outside. i'd always watch them from the window." she smiled to herself.

"did you play with them?" he asked.

her smile slowly faded, "no. i wasn't allowed."

"why not?"