24: coincidence

by the time hisa came to class, her eyes where puffy and she was a bit rosy in some areas of her face.

aeri immediately noticed and worry filled her face, she looked back from her seat and observed the girl who was walking to her own desk.

hisano just laid her head down on the desk with her arms acting as pillows.

"oh lord, what happened?" aeri murmured to herself.

afterschool

"what did you do?" aeri asked sternly with her arms crossed, "she came into class and she looked so sad."

jungwon's heart ached when he heard that hisano might've cried, and it was probably his fault.

"hey, are you going to answer or what?!" aeri hit him lightly on his shoulder.

"aeri." he said, "i tried my best to act like everything was normal, but it hurts a lot." he said.

"what are you talking about?"

he looked down. tears started to form in his eyes, why was he tearing up so suddenly?

"i've been avoiding her."

as aeri heard that, she scoffed in disbelief. he's been lying about hanging out with hisano these past few days.

he spoke again, "but today i couldn't anymore. i missed her so much."

aeri was confused about this whole situation, "can you spit it out? i don't understand anything."

"fine." he said.

"i didn't take medication for two months during the summer, i feel like i'm going to die anyway. i don't think i should see her anymore."

she didn't know how to answer, or react. should she be angry at him for keeping it a secret for so long? but then again, he might've been lying out of fear...

"has it been getting worse? the aches?" she asked.

he nodded while looking down, "it hurts."

"we need to see my dad as soon as possible, let's go." aeri grabbed his wrist and he followed, they left the school grounds and found their fastest route to her dad.

from afar, hisano had been watching the whole scene.

right after the bells rung, she stayed behind for a bit and copied the extra notes that she missed because she went to the bathroom during class.

and now as she was walking the halls, about to head down the stairs, she saw them outside through the window.

they were in front of one another and when she saw aeri grab a hold his wrist, she felt that same bitter feeling in her chest. she just wanted it to go away.

his words that day, she remembered again,

"and... i want it all to myself."

"it was nice when it was just us, two lonely people. but now, i think you're slowly going to make more and more friends."

she gripped her sleeve tightly when she thought about him, it was quite funny... she finally understood how he felt.

"says you." she muttered, "hypocrite."

she wanted it all to herself as well. she wants to spend time with him as much as aeri does nowadays.

she could never get enough of him. it was nice then when she didn't have to worry, but now, she feels like he's slowly going away.

maybe he was always just meant to be 'laundry boy'

and nothing more.

~~

"why didn't you just tell the truth from the start?" aeri asked jungwon while they rushed to get to her dad.

they were running, aeri must've been so concerned that she forgot about his condition.

"slow down..."

aeri stopped and stared at him in worry, "oh shit, i forgot." she said.

"as dr. seong's daughter, you're pretty bad at this." jungwon said.

she rolled her eyes, "the doctor is my dad, not me. idiot. i hate dealing with this type of shit"

he chuckles, "sure looks like it."

she sighed, "kay, if you're done we gotta go. you could be on the verge of death, f-y-i."

he obliged and caught his breath before they continued their way.

when they got there, dr. seong basically told him not to worry. they did a checkup on his heart, his heart beats and other things.

once it was done, jungwon thanked him before opening the door to see aeri, who was waiting.

"yo."

"yo?" she replied, "how'd it go?"

"same thing, kinda boring. he told me i have to go there tomorrow as well."

aeri shifted her attention to her nails on one hand, "okay well, if nothing's wrong then you can go home." she stood up, "i gotta talk to my dad. later jungwon." she waved.

he sighed and did as she said, go home.

but on his way there, he felt something pulling him back. nothing physical, just the gut feeling that maybe he shouldn't go home yet.

when he was near, he saw a familiar car parked in their parking spot.

he squinted and tilted his head, the license plate made it clear who it was.

"the fuck? what the hell is my dad doing here?"

not wanting to see the face of his dad, he turned around and went back. he quickly thought of where to go for the meantime, somewhere where nobody could find him.

his stomach began to grumble and he was suddenly craving food. oh, how good that soup was when he went with hisano.

he lifted his backpack so it would be more comfortable, it's been pulling him down the more he walked. a yawn escaped him mouth and as he was about to turn the corner, he was met with a smaller figure.

she yelped, "oh- sorry!"

he raised his brows in surprise before he stared at her, her eyes were shut but she slowly opened them and looked at him as well.

her lips formed into an 'o' shape before she flashed a quick smile, "hi..." she said awkwardly.

"hey."

♡