Moment of Truth

Sitting in the hospital made me fidgety.

The doctor had taken blood, and all the other stuff he had needed and now me and Dimitri were waiting.

They'd taken his blood too, to see if he was the father or not.

I didn't know what we'd do if he wasn't.

"Dimitri, I love you. No matter what." I told him, and he smiled, grasping my hand.

"I love you too, Roza. Everything will be fine." he said, and the door opened as if if on que.

"Ms.Hathaway, and Mr.Belikov, I've got your blood results." the doctor said.

"Well no offense, Dr, but of course you have our blood results. That's what we're here for. What do they say?" I asked rudely.

"Rose!" Dimitri scolded, but then also turned his eyes to the doctor waiting.

"Congratulations!" The doctor said, "You're both parents to a healthy, growing baby, so far. It's too early to tell the gender but-" he couldn't continue because I interupted him.

"It's his baby?" I asked unbelieving.

"Umm, yes. That's what I just said Ms.Hathaway." The doctor said looking confused.

Dimitri's eyes lit up.

He turned to stare at me, his hands going to my stomache.

"You're positive?" Dimitri asked, his eyes not leaving mine.

"One hundred percent. The dna was easy to match."

"Could you give us a few moments?" Dimitri asked and the doctor complied.

"Dimitri-" I started, but suddenly my lips were busy with his. When he finally pulled away, I took a deep breath.

"What was that for?" I asked, my voice sounded unconfident which was unusual for me.

"Rose, we're having a baby." He said quietly. And even though he'd always claimed he didn't need it all, that I was enough, that I always would be, I saw it in his eyes at this moment that he'd always wanted this.

He'd been lying to himself, and to me. He had said he didn't mind not having kids. I had the same thing, but I was conflicted now.

Did I want kids?

His eyes looked worried when I didn't answer.

"Are you ok Roza?"

"I'm fine... It's just a lot to take in. A whole lot." I said, biting my lip.

"I know Roza, but we can handle it. I won't leave your side. Liss will understand, she'll find other guardians for herself and Christian until we're ready again-" he started

"Whoa there comrade. I'm still Lissa's guardian. And I'm not even sure about this!" I said, my voice getting louder than I had meant.

"What so you mean you're not sure? This is a miracle. Our miracle." He whispered, his eyes on my stomache.

"I know Dimitri, but whenever I though about having kids... Well you and me having kids was never an option, and I don't even know how this happened, and whenever I thought of having kids it was always bad. Always with some Moroi, like my mother did with me, and I always imagined if for some reason that happened I'd do what my did... And I'd send the kid to an academy."

"I thought you hated your mother for abandoning you like that, but you'd do it to your own kid?" He questioned.

"That's just it Dimitri. I never planned on having a kid! That only solidified after I met you! I never had to think about it, and now I do!" I said, my frustration echoing in my tone of voice.