Skipping Ahead

6 months later

Being fat was not fun.

Also, being pregnant with a baby that used magic on its own that you couldn't control that drove you insane. That also was not exactly what I'd put in the fun category.

Over the last six months we'd figured out more and more of what to expect from my pregnancy, and most of it wasn't fun stuff.

The pregnancy gave me nightmares nearly every night, mostly the body-less arm and that Strigoi telling me someone was going to die. Every time I closed my eyes those dreams popped into my head.

And ever since my dream about Eddie and Dimtri had turned out to be true, I had to wonder... Were these dreams true too?

Dimitri kept telling me they weren't, but I couldn't rule out the fact that they might be.

We'd also found out the baby liked to drag me and Adrian into spirit dreams. But now that Adrian had his magic back he could usually end the dreams after they started, though some nights they happened several times.

Sydney thought that the baby dragged Adrian and me into dreams because Adrian was a spirit user and the baby could sense that, which made sense.

The baby also caused normal pregnancy symptoms. Morning sickness, moodiness. Cravings.

Like randomly wanting an American cheeseburger so badly I'd cried for two hours straight.

That had been a fun day.

I could handle the hormones and stuff pretty well, and now that I knew what to expect from the spirit I could channel that pretty well too.

I was handling everything fine except for being fat. I constantly ran into things, and always told Dimtri I needed a wide load sign. He always rolled his eyes.

Everything had been quiet though, which I hated. My personality didn't work with quiet. I needed something to do.

Back when I'd still been a fugitive on the run (they had thought I had murdered the queen) I had been suppose to be in hiding.

But of course I hadn't gone into hiding, I'd gone off and almost gotten caught on several occasions.

But now it wasn't my life at stake, or even Dimitri's. It was the baby's. And I couldn't risk that.

So we stayed in Baia, and I was constantly bored out of my kind.

Dimitri tried to keep me busy, but honestly I think he was just as bored as me.

Sydney and Adrian on the other hand were very happy.

They'd been locked at court before this, so the alchemists wouldn't be able to harm them or Zoey.

And even though they were in hiding just as much as me and Dimitri, I think they were happier here than they had been in America.

They came and visited often. Zoey played with Viktoria's son, Artur.

Zoey actually spoke fluent Russian now. I still only knew a few phrases. But Adrian didn't know any Russian either which made me feel better.

The day went by though like most of the days had the past few months. It was a normal, casual day.

And I was bored as per the usual.

But at 7 pm that night, something out of the usual happened.

Blaring alarms sounded in the distance, they were hard to hear.

If I had to guess I'd say the noise was coming from town.

Suddenly Viktoria came thundering down the stairs, Artur in her arms. She sat him on the couch, sternly telling him something in Russian.