Race Against Time

ADRIAN'S POV

 "Sydney, to your left!" I yelled. It was dark outside, as we ran to the building the alchemists had Dimitri trapped in. Sydney couldn't see much of anything with her human vision.

Sydney veered left for a moment, and I heard somebody fall and hit the ground before Sydney resumed her position next to me.

Even though my Moroi vision had been helping, a lot, my spirit was also blaring with magic right now. The fact that they had my daughter was fueling it, I could just hope that when we found Zoey they wouldn't need my magic as much.

Because once we find her, my magic is going to drop along with me. I'm going to be burnt out.

"Oomph!" Something hit me right in the nose, and I heard an unsettling crack. I fell to the ground, stars dancing behind my eyes.

When I opened my eyes, everything was lighter. There was a ring of fire around us.

And by us, I mean me, Sydney, and some alchemist holding at a gun pointed at me. Probably the guy who'd punched me.

I glanced over at Sydney, and noticed her holding a fireball.

"Drop the gun!" she yelled.

The alchemist grinned. "You throw it, I shoot him."

"You shoot him, I'll throw it." she said.

The alchemist let out a slight laugh. "Then me and your husband will be dead. And lets be honest, you are certainly a capable women, Sydney, but without him you aren't making it out of here. And my death is worth it, if it keeps you and your daughter contained."

I saw Sydney start to shake, and raise her arm as about to throw the fireball. The alchemist's hand tightened against the trigger.

I braced myself, before letting my voice find its way out of my body.

"Vampires. Strigoi, to be more precise." my voice was cold and harsh, like it had been back in the control room.

I watched, and it seemed almost in slow motion, as the guy dropped his gun, and suddenly his eyes got huge. He dropped to his knees, and tried to push himself backwards. His hands swatted at invisible enemies me and Sydney couldn't see, as his mind tricked him into thinking dozens of Strigoi were attacking.

"More." I said, feeling the magic flare up inside me.

The alchemists scream was pleasure to my ears.

I watched as he stopped trying to get away from the enemies his mind was creating, and curl up into a ball twitching and moaning and screaming.

"Adrian, stop!" I heard Sydney say though it wasn't very loud. It sounded almost like an echo.

My eyes stayed on the alchemist, as he started twitching faster. He was shaking... And spitting up blood? What? It was just a hallucination, he wasn't supposed to be hurt actually!

"Adrian!" Sydney's voice broke through this time.

"What?" I asked, and my voice sounded slurred. I felt bone tired all of a sudden, I felt weak and suddenly I almost fell to my knees. I stayed up by sheer force of will.

"Snap him out of it! I don't care what he threatened, he's going to die! He's going to have a heart attack, his stomachs already compressing in on itself. He's going into shock, whatever you're making him see, he can't handle it!" Sydney spoke quickly, watching me for any signs of spirit wear and tear as she usually called it.