Way Beyond Hormones

I ate quickly, and I ate a lot more. For waking up randomly in the night and not being hungry at all I put away quite a lot of food.

After I got dressed in sturdier clothes (Yeva had insisted) she gave me the keys to the Belikovs only truck.

"How in the hell am I suppose to find them?" I asked, sheepish. I hadn't meant to be so rude.

"Watch your language. And you've traveled this road before. Think about what you would do. Where you would go." She said, and I just sprinted out the door.

I'd originally thought Yevas dreams and precognitions were ridiculous when I'd first met her.

But after experiencing a dream like that for myself I had a new understanding of the subject. I had a gut feeling about my dream, but it made little, if any, sense.

I drove quickly, running stop signs and red lights.

I got to Novorsbirsk quickly, driving to the nearest club I could find.

I had no money so I snuck in, dodging deftly behind the club into the roaring music of the club.

Everything was in Russian, and most of the people here spoke Russian.

When someone grabbed my shoulder hard from behind I whirled around, my stake at their chest before they knew what had happened.

It was a guardian, and he had a friend who had his stake aimed at me.

I could see a Moroi man staring warily at me from a few feet away.

The one who I wasn't about to stab spat a question at me in Russian.

"I don't speak this stupid language." I spat back, my patience wearing thin. It felt an awful lot like when I use to pull darkness from Lissa, back when we were still bonded.

The one who I had my stake pointed at spoke. Thankfully in perfect English.

"You look familiar. I didn't mean to startle you, by the way. Are you expecting trouble." He asked, I could hear him straining his voice trying to remain calm.

It surprised me sometimes how much I frightened people.

"I don't think you'd know me, I'm a nobody. And I'm looking for two dhampirs who are about to do something stupid." I said, pulling my stake back slowly.

His friend who had his out relaxed into a more casual, but still battle-ready, stance as well.

"About to do something stupid? Are they vigilantes?" He questioned and I cringed.

Vigilantes were dhampirs who, after high school, went out on their own and hunted Strigoi. They were often killed.

And as much as I disliked them, I had been one for a short while.

"Kind of vigilantes." I finally conceded. "Not really though, they're guardians."

"Can we be of any assistance?" The English speakers friend asked. His English was rougher sounding, and he seemed to be struggling to understand our conversation.

"I don't think so..." I said.

The one I'd had at stake-point snapped his fingers.

"You're Rose Hathaway!" He spoke admiringly.

"Shhhhh!" I said, watching as his friends eyes bugged out of his head.

Being a celebrity of sorts sucked. It wasn't suppose to get out that I was in Russia.

"A special mission for the queen, no ones suppose to know. Can you keep a secret?" I asked, crossing my fingers.

"Of course, guardian to guardian." He said, grinning.