Surprise Within a Surprise

I had just gotten to the rental car that was going to take me to Dimitri when I heard a voice I would always recognize.

"I don't need your help I need Rose!" I heard Lissa yell in the distance. I turned around, spotting her in the distance with my dhampir vision.

Damnit. So much for my surprise.

I ran over, whipping out my phone and sending Dimitri a text about what was going on.

Once Lissa saw me she stopped struggling against the guardians and paramedics, sinking into their arms.

"I know it's your day off Rose, but I wasn't expecting this today." She said quietly, sweat beading on her forehead.

"It's ok. I wanna meet my new trainee. Fresh out of the womb, start their training right away." I said, patting her on the shoulder as they led her to a car to bring her to the court hospital.

"Rose, your not training my child fresh out of the womb. Firstly, it's going to be a Moroi not a dhampir. Secondly. It's a baby!" She said exasperated and I smiled.

I just wanted to distract her from the contractions.

"But Lissa, think about it. Extreme Moroi guardian! The first of many!" I said and she rolled her eyes.

"And, and, the baby has Christian for the father. Christians leading the Moroi guardians. So, the baby's bound to following his footsteps." I added, but her attention was elsewhere as her features became pinched and she groaned in pain.

"Speaking of Christian, where the hell is he?" I growled, he needed to be here for her.

"He went" she said in between gasps "to find me some Funyuns." she said.

"You don't even like Funyuns!" I said, the exasperated one now.

"I know, but-" she cut off again at another contraction.

"It's ok," I said as we got into the car and sped off. "We'll get there and we'll find him."

Turns out we didn't have to find him.

Him and Dimitri were at the hospital before we got there, Christian rushed over to Lissa and I rushed to Dimitri.

"How'd you get here so fast?" I asked surprised.

"Me and Christian made a system right when Lissa got pregnant. He figured you'd be with Lissa and you'd tell me and then I had a system to find him." He explained.

"Still, how'd you get here so fast?" I questioned.

"We broke a lot of speeding laws." He said, a smile on his face. I reached forward, giving him a kiss on the cheek before we followed Christian and Lissa to her hospital room.

It was just a lot of sitting then, me and Christian holding Lissa's hands during contractions before the doctor finally came in.

"So," he said. "You're not in labor. Yet." He announced.

"What is it then?" Christian snapped, and Dimitri shot him a look.

"Braxton hicks. Copy cat labor." The doctor explained. "Fake labor."

"I've heard of those. That means I can go home then and rest, right?" Lissa asked hopefully.

"I'm afraid not Your Highness. Most cases we'd say yes, but you're almost due anyways and you're queen of the Moroi. We don't want to risk it. You'll have to stay here." He said and Lissa's hope in her eyes diminished.

Christian kissed her and said "I'm not going anywhere."

Then he whispered in her ear and a small smile spread back onto her face.