Hitching A Ride

ROSE'S POV

I stopped, finally finding a dirt road, my breath was coming out in huffs.

Clarisse was found to be pissed at Frederick, and now Roy was dead.

But Jasmine... She was probably awake now, and she'd called Frederick... I bet she was looking for me.

I picked a direction and ran again down the road.

There had to be a car somewhere.

I ran for maybe a mile, if I had to guess before an old station wagon pulled over.

It was an older woman, and she looked at me concerned.

She asked me something in Russian.

"Baia?" I asked tentatively.

She nodded slowly, but still looked confused.

"Go, Baia?" I asked in shaky russian.

The older women looked me up and down, focusing on my distended stomache before nodding.

I climbed into the passenger seat and we were off.

As we drove she tried to talk to me.

"Baia, bad." She said.

"What?" I asked.

"Errmmm. Many, un breathing." She tried.

"A lot of people are dead?" I asked and she nodded.

The Strigoi attack must've been serious.

20 minutes later we pulled into Baia, and I could see devastation everywhere.

Blood spattered windows, and the streets were deserted.

"I can walk from here." I told her.

She glanced at me confused. Stupid language barriers.

"Thank you. Get out?" I said in my terrible russian.

She stopped the car and I got out, going to a small store that I knew had a phone.

I was grabbed first though, and shoved against a wall.

It was Meredith, a girl i'd trained with as a novice at St.Vladimirs. She was one of Lissa's many guardians, though I was head of the Royal guardians of the queen.

I looked at her guardian outfit, noticing the purple stitching on it that indicated she was one of the queens guardians.

It made me sad that I wasn't wearing my outfit, that I couldn't be Lissa's guardian until this whole pregnancy thing was solved.

"Rose." Meredith said. "Where've you been?"

"Strigoi." I answered simply as she let me off the wall.

"How'd you get away? How many were there?" She asked, guardian protocol.

"I only saw... 4. But I think there were more. I killed one, who was guarding me."

"How many more?" She asked.

"No clue. A lot. There's this Strigoi named Clarisse, she's old. Really old, and it looks like she was a dhampir before she was changed. She's the one in charge, and she talks about it like she's running an army."

"an army of Strigoi. That's not good." She whispered.

"No it isn't." I echoed.

Meredith brought me around the car, where she drove me back the Belikovs.