A Not so Happy Ending

ROSE'S POV

   "Dimitri, are you sure you don't want to come? Olena will watch Mason." I told him, as he helped me zip up the back of my black dress.

   "I can't leave Mason without both his parents, Roza. Besides, you need to be there to support Liss. And to show the rest of the Moroi world that you and me haven't dropped off the face of the earth." he said, and I understood. I still had nightmares every night, about the never ending lines of strigoi.

   I swallowed, turning to kiss Dimitri.

   "You look stunning." he told me, after the kiss ending.

   "Thanks, comrade. I'll be back tomorrow. Don't worry." I told him, before walking over to the bassinet in our room and lifting Mason out.

   I kissed his small forehead, where a scar lied above his right eyebrow. It had already healed, less than a week after the battle.

   We'd lost a lot of guardians, none I'd known personally. But still. And then, there was Jill.

   And while we all took it harshly, Eddie was going insane. He swore up and down that she wasn't dead, that this wasn't her body we'd found.

   But the ripped up girl Eddie had guarded the whole time, during that horrible war, was unmistakably Jill. The eye that hadn't been badly wounded was green, and her light brown waves were matted with blood.

   Eddie had been hospitalized for the past few days, but was being released for the funeral where I was heading today. Today's funeral was just for Jill, tomorrow would follow more for the rest of the fallen.

   "I love you Mason." I told the little boy in my arms, smiling as Dimitri came and kissed his forehead too.

   "What are we going to do, Dimitri?" I whispered, unable to take my eyes off our son.

   "Our plan, remember? Wait until he turns five... Than bring him to court."

   "It's bigger than us now, Dimitri, its bigger than Mason. Not for us, but for the rest of the world. That Strigoi army, they're not done yet. They're not getting any older, they're going to strike again."

   "Roza, it's not your job to protect the world. Not the way you're trying to do it anyways. That's too much for one person."

   I didn't answer.

 ---

   The flight to court was peaceful, and I slept most of the way. I didn't sleep much at home, due to either nightmares, or a crying newborn.

   When I landed at the Court, Lissa, Christian, and Prim were their waiting.

   Lissa launched herself forward, catching me in a hug.

   "Rose, I missed you so much." she said, her words muffled due to her face buried in my dress.

   "It's ok, Liss. Everythings ok." I told her, hugging her back, feeling the tears on my face.

   I hadn't used to be this emotional, but these tears weren't ones you could force yourself to hold back.

   After we finished hugging, Christian handed me Prim who had his blue eyes, and Lissa's blonde hair.

   She was able to support her own torso, and looked a lifetime older.

   "Mammmaa!" She whined, reaching for Lissa. I handed her over willingly.

   "She'll have plenty of time to get to know you, Rose. Whenever you and Dimitri decide to bring Mason back here." she said, and then smiled. "Take as much time as you need. All I want is for you guys to be safe."

   "Thanks Liss." I said, quietly, and we left for the funeral.

   The funeral was short, a closed casket due to Jill's body being very injured from the strigoi.

   Jill's parent's were there, along with Sydney, Adrian, and Zoey, who were going to live at St.Vladimirs.

   Lissa had pulled some strings, and now Adrian was going to teach the younger kids art, and Sydney would be a history teacher. The first ever human teacher their.

   Also, that way Zoey could start school, and she'd fit in fine because she was a dhampir. And the alchemists couldn't reach them their.

   Eddie was at the funeral, and he was going to stay at the court for awhile after. He was going to live near Lissa and Christian, and they were going to help him get better to the best of their ability. He wasn't go to be guardian ready for awhile, none the less.

   We all said our goodbyes, and tears were shed.

   Afterwards, I went back to Lissa's place with her and we stayed up all night, talking, and video-chatting with Dimitri so Liss could see the baby.

   She wasn't going to be allowed to Russia for awhile, not after what had happened there and being that she was the queen.

   She did however, have guardians patrolling the area, making sure it was strigoi free.

   And as far as the guardian's knew, the Strigoi Army wasn't in Russia or the US, but they were somewhere in the world. Planning for another war, another day.

   The next morning, I woke up early, and Lissa walked with me to the private plane.

   "I'm gonna miss you, Rose. What am I going to do without you?" she whispered, tears threatening to fall down her cheeks.

   "I'm gonna miss you too, Liss. But this is the only option. Besides, what's five years?"

   "Five years is a long time, Rose." she reminded me.

   "Five years, Liss. Don't worry I'll visit before than." I told her, and those were the words I left her with as I boarded the plane.

   And as selfish as it was, I couldn't be happier.

   On the plane, that morning, I made a promise to myself. The next five years were for me, Dimitri, and Mason. No saving the world, no putting other people before my family.

   The next five years were mine.

[A/N: THE BOOK IS FINALLY DONE. Guys, I wrote a whole book. Wow. Anyways, the adventure isn't over yet. Check out the Sequel "The Belikov Boy". Thanks for reading, I love all of you guys!]