Nightmares

After me and Dimitri got home, Olena had lunch ready for us. It was delicious, like all her food.

We ate, and then Dimitri went outside claiming to have to make some business calls back to the Court.

"Rose?" Viktoria asked as she cleaned up Art's dishes from the table.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Do you mind watching Art, while I go to town?" She asked and I nodded.

"Viktoria..." Olena said from the sink. "You know I don't like this. It doesn't seem right."

"Mom, I know. But it doesn't seem right. But it feels right to me. That has to count for something, right?"

"What are you guys talking about?" I asked.

Viktoria sighed. "Art's father. I'm going to see him."

"Oh." I said, not really knowing how to respond to that.

"It's not what you're thinking. He's a nice guy, not a royal or anything. Just your average Moroi. But he's sweet, kind. He's been my friend. But when I found out I was pregnant, I pulled away from him and stopped seeing him." Viktoria took a deep breath.

"He found out and tried to get me to talk to him. I refused to, until after Art was born. We've been working through stuff ever since then, except he hasn't met Art yet. He really wants to though, and I'm thinking about letting him." She finished.

"I don't think you should. Art's fine without him." Olena said.

"I wanna meet him." I said.

Viktoria's eyes widened. "Rose, I don't know. Not that I don't want you to meet him, but."

My bold nature overcame me.

"Let me be the judge of character. I can tell if he's good dad material or not." I said with a nervous laugh.

The memories of last time I'd visited and I'd told Viktoria she was hanging out with the wrong guy... So many years ago, how angry she'd been.

"You know what, never mind." I conceded, offering her an easy smile.

"It's not that I don't want you too, Rose, but it's complicated." She said.

"No, it's fine. Me and Art will hang out." I said.

She smiled, then went to get ready to go.

I watched Art, and Dimitri came back in and helped his mother with the housework.

Viktoria was gone past dinner, so Olena helped me get Art ready for bed afterwards.

Olena than said I was fine to go to bed, and that I should sleep because Karolina was coming to visit for the weekend (she'd gotten time off on her guardian job. She worked as an instructor at one of the schools here in Russia. Her son Paul and her daughter Hannah went there too.) and her children.

Sonja would probably come too, but she lived near her mother. She had just gotten her own house after her 4th child. She had married a nice dhampir guy who loved her kids like they were his own.

So me and Dimitri went up to his room, he fell asleep quickly. His arms around me, but for some reason I was having difficult falling asleep.

And when I finally did fall asleep I had a nightmare.

I was standing in some field, the wind blowing hard, rain coming hard at me from the side.

My hair was plastered to my face, making it hard to see. I could hear cries and screams coming from every direction, and growling.