You Made It

"It's been four hours!" I screamed, more at the coming baby than Olena or Viktoria.

   But lets just say, the longer I'd been laying here with the contractions getting longer, my temper had been growing shorter.

    "You're doing great, Rose. Just think, you'll be a mother soon!" Viktoria had been cheering me on. She'd gotten strict instructions from Liss when I'd video chatted her that she had to keep my spirits up.

   Olena was patient too, but more quiet than Viktoria. I trusted her though, she was the main midwife in Baia.

   "Rose, we're gonna push soon." She told me from her spot next to Viktoria.

   "Is that gonna be better or worse than the contractions?" I asked.

   "Well, just don't think about that." Viktoria told me.

   "Great. That means worse." I groaned, covering my face with my hands.

   I knew I shouldn't be thinking about Dimitri being dead, or injured right now, I should be thinking about our baby.

   But he hadn't called. He would've found a way by now if he could've.

   "Before we start, will you check my phone once more?" I asked. "Please, Viktoria."

   She sighed, but reached over for my phone before frowning.

   "It's dead Rose..." Her voice tightened. "But I doubt he suddenly decided to call..."

   I shut my eyes, holding back tears. I blinked them away.

   "Let's do this."

   ---

   "Rose! Rose, stay with us!" I could barely hear either Olena or Viktoria's voices, they sounded dream like.

   "You have a healthy baby boy, Rose! He's beautiful!" Olena said, though she sounded very far away.

   "Mason?" I mumbled incoherently.

   "What? What was that, Rose?" Viktoria asked.

   "Mason. Mason Yevvan." I said, forcing my voice to come out clear.

    "After Yeva?" Olena asked, sounding breathless.

   "Yeah. And my friend Mason, he died a few years back." I mumbled, but I doubt they understood me.

   I was trying to keep my eyes closed, because everytime I opened them the world was spinning. A moment after Mason had been born, I'd felt something snap inside me. Like a cord ripping.

   This was something Sydney had been speculating about. She said I'd been taking the spirit magic from Mason, taking the darkness away.

   But she didn't think I'd be able to do it after. That after he was born, we wouldn't be connected anymore.

   And I was almost positive that was what I was feeling. That connection breaking.

   "She's losing a lot of blood." I heard Olena, probably to Viktoria.

   Viktoria raised her voice. "Rose, stay with us. Try to stay awake. Here, hold your baby." she said and I felt something warm touch my arm, and I immediately adjusted both of my arms to cradle it.

   I forced my dizzy eyes onto his perfect little face. He had a tuft of dark unruly brown hair, and dark blue-gray eyes. But all babies had blue eyes. I bet his eyes would be brown.