Not Without Him

ROSE'S POV

I woke up, mid-scream, sweat streaming down my forehead. Sadly, during the night I hadn't had a spirit dream with Adrian. Instead, I'd woken up to what had to be labor.

This had to be it.

"Olena!" I moaned, trying to get into a sitting position.

It was dead silent. You could almost hear the cricket's chirping. "Olena!" I said a bit louder.

I saw the light in the hallway flicker on, and my door opened up, Olena thankfully standing behind it.

"What's wrong Rose." she asked.

"The baby's coming." I said with a pant, trying to curl up in a fetal position.

She didn't answer, instead she came over to me, and forced me to lie back down.

"I don't want to lie down!" I protested.

"I know, Rose. Just stay here. I'm going to wake up Viktoria, we'll need her help."

I grunted for my answer. Olena left the room, and a few moment's later Viktoria entered.

"Where's Olena?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"She's getting wet cloths and other things you might need." Viktoria said, dragging a chair over to my bedside. "It'll be ok Rose, the pain won't matter once your baby is here."

"I've died. Twice. Once from a car crash, and once from a bullet wound and I would gladly experience either of those instead of these contractions!" I said, trying to sit up again but Viktoria pushed me back down.

"Think of it this way, if your contractions are already this bad than it won't be long until the baby comes. When I went into labor, it lasted two days."

My heart seemed to freeze. "Two.. Two days." I could barely find my voice.

"Oh, no! I didn't mean to scare you! Like I said, if your contractions are already this bad the baby should come quickly!"

"I want my phone. I need to video chat with Liss." I said, letting my head flop back down onto the pillow.

"Of course." Viktoria said, leaving the room to get my phone.

As soon as she left, silent tears fell down my cheeks. Where was Dimitri? I couldn't do this. Not without him.

DIMITRI POV

When I woke up from my nap in the back seat, my neck was cramping. I was fairly tall, and the back seat was very not tall.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"We're heading to an airport. We need to get back to Russia. You did say the baby's due any day, didn't you?" Sydney chimed in from the front seat.

I sat forward, my head nearly hitting the ceiling of the car. "Did either of you call Rose?"

Adrian whipped his head back, his eyes meeting mine. "Are you telling me you didn't call Rose?"

"The Alchemists took our cells!" I protested, but guilt was weighing down on my heart. I hadn't called Rose.

Sydney did some nifty maneuvers in the car, pulling over to a payphone. We managed to find some change between the car's seats, and I jammed it into the payphone.

It rang. Once. Twice. Three times.

Then her voicemail came up. "Hey, you've reached Rose Hathaway. I'm probably not answering because I don't want to talk to you. But if you know I like you, and I'm still not answering, I've probably been injured or kidnapped. Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I'm always on my phone so, like, if I'm not answering its probably because I don't like you. Leave a message and I probably won't call back! Bye!"

"Dammit!" I swore in Russian, jamming the phone back into its holder before going back over to the car.

Sydney and Adrian both gave me quizzical looks when I got back in. "No answer." I told them. "Let's just get to the airport and try to hurry back, ok?"

Sydney pulled back onto the road, and within the next half hour we were at the airport.

Adrian carried Zoey, standing behind me and Sydney as we went up to the counter.

"Three tickets to Novosibirsk." Sydney asked. The women's eyes at the counter however, traveled back behind me and Sydney, to Zoey.

"I'm going to have to call a manager." she told Sydney.

I stepped forward. "Why?" I demanded.

"That child looks similar to one that's been kidnapped. I just have to double check with my manager."

I turned, and met Adrian's eyes. He nodded, with somewhat of a sigh, handing me Zoey.

"Dimka!" She said, burying her head in my shoulder. She was one of the few people I let call me that, mostly because she had trouble pronouncing Dimitri.

Adrian let his eyes meet the receptionist's. "This child looks nothing like the missing child. You're going to get us tickets for the first flight to Novosibirsk."

She repeated what he had said, in a dazed state that all compelled people had, before giving us our tickets which Sydney payed for, using a plan she had set up with the airport that was hooked up the bank account.

She'd had it set up for exactly this reason, in case of emergency. Sydney was always prepared.

We got onto the flight, and I sat drumming my fingers on the arm rest.

When I got back, would I already be a father? Would I have a little girl, or a son?

Would Rose be ok?

Adrian looked over at me. "I know that look, Belikov. I remember when Sydney had Zoey. It's terrifying, and I was right next to her. Don't worry. We'll get back in time."

I knew he was trying to comfort me, but part of me already knew. I was going to be too late.

All I could do was pray that when I got their, Roza and the baby would be healthy.

And that Rose wouldn't kill me for missing the birth of our child.

With that thought, of Rose threatening to strangle me because I'd missed the birth, a smile fell onto my face. I'd let Roza strangle me, if it meant I could be back next to her.

I let my head fall back, and let myself fall asleep.

(A/N: I'm going to finish this story today! So stay tuned, I'm posting more today!)