War.

ROSE'S POV

I clutched onto Mason tighter, and though he was crying I barely heard it.

There were Strigoi everywhere.

After I'd woken up from my spirit dream with Dimitri, I'd barely had time to get back onto my feet before Viktoria had told me the message Lissa had sent.

An Army was coming, and we had half an hour to get out of Baia or the Army would go there. So we'd moved to this field, where at least if the army killed us all the innocent Citizens of Baia would be safe.

Liss had sent reinforcements, including Eddie (Who had gone back to court when Zoey gone missing. He'd been trying to track Zoey from there, and he'd been filling in Jill on what had been going on.) and other guardians, and a few moroi who were willing to fight with magic.

Dimitri was on his way here, along with Adrian, Sydney, and Zoey.

But when they got here they would probably find us dead, and then they too would die.

I clutched my newborn child closer.

I noticed off to the side Eddie battling 2 Strigoi, pushing Jill behind him. Though she was using her magic to try and help.

Olena was fighting, Viktoria too, and for the first time I was happy she'd made up with Artur's dad. At least her son was safe. Art had gone to stay with his dad for a week, so Viktoria would be able to help when I gave birth. So like I said, at least her son was safe.

I wasn't so sure about mine.

A hand pulled sharply on my shoulder, and I fell on my butt, shock coursing through my body.

Years of training, of preparing for battles like this, and I was going to die.

Because I was in shock, my son who was less than a day old was in my arms, and we were outnumbered.

I saw the strike of the Strigoi towards my neck, he seemed to be ignoring Mason so far....

But the pain, and then pleasure, never came.

The strigoi let out a wail. He stumbled backwards, and radiation from a mark on his arm he started to disintegrate.

The mark was hand shaped, a small hand.

A baby's handprint.

I looked down at Mason, which I had been trying not to do because I knew once I did there was a chance I would lose it, and saw he had stopped crying and was looking sleepy and pale.

"Oh god." I said, pulling him up to me and kissing his forehead.

What kind of magic did he have?

We didn't have time to find out, at least not now.

But I'd been wrong. Looking at my son hadn't caused me to lose it.

It had given me a new reserve, anger.

I was going to kill all of these monsters for threatening my son. My child.

I went to work, figuring out how to fight with an infant in one arm.

-

I had no clue how any of us were still alive.

I wouldn't say the Strigoi were dropping like flies, but they were falling in numbers.

I fought the urge to whip my head around when I heard Eddie scream, I'd done that once already and gotten hit pretty hard.

Him and Jill, and the some of the reinforcements had gotten here. It hadn't helped our odds much.