36: A Whole New World

RAPHAEL'S POV

"Elizabeth, you cannot ... we cannot simply just hide away in here for the rest of our days.", I explained, frustration setting in. "It has been 3 months. People are asking where we have been. We need to return home."

"And what are people going to ask when they see me?", she turned to me, a bit of anger laced in her voice. "What then? I can't hide it anymore, Raph. My dresses are too tight now. I can barely get them laced up."

"Lizzie, I know...", I started but she quickly cut me off.

"No, Raphael, you don't know. I am an unwed mother. People are going to brand me as a whore and my child will be shamed because of it. People are not as kind and as accepting as you think they may be.", she said. "I can't bring myself to even step out that front door in fear someone will ask."

I took a few steps and closed the gap between us. I wiped away the few tears that had fallen down her cheeks.

"Elizabeth, you don't have to worry about what people think of you.", I calmly tried to explain.

"That is so easy for you to say.", she whispered as her lip quivered. "Even if we did leave and go back home, Christian, Raoul, your parents, the entire servant staff, is going to judge and question."

"Then marry me Elizabeth..", I sincerely said, locking my eyes with hers.

"Wh-what did you just say?", she questioned in shock.

"Marry me Elizabeth...", I said, taking her hands in mine and sinking down to one knee. I watched as her eyes grew wide. "Say the word and I am forever yours..".

It took her a few seconds to say anything. She looked back at me in disbelief. Tears threatened to spill down her cheeks.

"I-I can't...", she tried to say but her quivering lip stopped her from saying more. She took in a deep breath to try and calm herself. "I can't ask you to do this Raphael."

"I want to do this Elizabeth. I want to protect you and this child. To make sure you are always safe, to make sure no one can harm you. To make sure this child will grow up with a father.", I said, every word true. "I will adopt this child as my own. I will care for it, love it as if it was my own. We will tell everyone that the child is mine. You and this child deserve to always feel loved and feel safe. I promise you I will do just that. So please, Elizabeth Daae, will you take my hand in marriage, as your husband?"

"What if.... What if the child shares his... shares his deformities?", she struggled to say.

"We will cross that bridge if it ever appears in front of us," I calmly responded. "That is something that should not trouble your mind right now. Let us pray for a strong and healthy baby. Okay? So what do you say?"

Tears spilled down her cheeks and she nodded her head. "Yes", she simply responded. I quickly stood up and enveloped her into my arms. I spun her around before setting her back on her feet.

I looked into her beautiful, watery brown eyes and my heart nearly skipped a beat. Without even thinking, I leaned my head into hers and our lips collided. If I didn't know better, I could've sworn fireworks were going off around us. This moment, right here, is the happiest moment in all the years of life.

Our lips finally detached but I still held her close, my forehead resting against hers. "Let's go today.", I said with a smile.

"Today? Raph, I don't have a dress. You haven't given me a ring.", she started. "We need to tell your family about the engagement. Isn't there a whole process with the royal order?"

"We will go to the jeweler today and you can pick out whatever you want.", I explained. "Mother has a dress, that she has never worn sitting in the closet. You will look absolutely breathtaking in it my love. And I don't give a damn about anything else. My family will find out soon enough."