20: The Resurrection of Lazarus

"No thoughts within her head, but thoughts of joy!
No dreams within her heart, but dreams of loooOOOO..."

"Stop! Stop!", M. Reyer called out.

My hands were shaking so much, due to my nerves, and I felt like I could pass out at any moment. Don Juan is tomorrow

"Again? She can never get it right. I knew she didn't have the voice to do this.", Carlotta called out.

Every single time we stop, she always has something to say. It's not helping with the nerves whatsoever. I feel like I am disappointing everyone.

"I am very sorry, Monsieur.", I said to the maestro. "It's just my nerves. I promise I won't mess up tomorrow."

"It's quite alright, Mademoiselle. Everyone's first performance is nerve racking.", he said, trying to calm me down.

"Alright everyone, let's take a break.", Madame called out. "Elizabeth, come see me."

I carefully made my way over to where Madame was standing. My head was spinning like a top and it was making it hard for me to walk. She took my hand and led me to the dressing room. I took a seat as soon as I entered.

"Elizabeth, my dear, are you alright?", she said to me.

"Madame, I feel like I am letting everyone down.", I said, as tears started to fall from my eyes. "I'm letting him down."

"My dear, he is very pleased with you.", she replied back. She extended her arm out to show me what she held in her hand.

A rose with a black ribbon. I haven't seen him since that day at the cemetery and that's going on well over a week now.

"How can he be pleased, when all I am doing is messing up?", I said, taking the rose from her. I brushed my fingers over the red petals and along the silk ribbon. "The performance is tomorrow and I still haven't conquered these nerves."

"Everything will be quite alright, my dear.", she said, brushing a piece of hair out from my face. "I want you to stay here and take a little time to calm down. I'll have them rehearse the dancing and when you're ready, come back and join us."

After she left the room, I moved over to the couch to lay down. I grabbed a glass of water and sipped on it.

In through your nose, out through your mouth. In through your nose, out through your mouth.

It took me a couple of minutes, but I finally succeed in stopping my hands from shaking. I set the glass of water back down on the table and held my head in my hands.

How am I ever going to manage to not mess up? I can just sense everyone's frustration with me. I felt tears prick at my eyes once again.

How did I ever think I was capable of doing this? Playing the Confidante was one thing, but playing the leading role is a completely different story. I don't have the confidence needed to do this.

I felt a chill run down my spine and goosebumps appeared on my arms, as a gust of wind swirled through the room. Each and every candle that was lit in the room was now extinguished. I felt my heart start to pound in my chest.

How is this possible?

"I am your angel of music"

I picked my head up from my hands and the first thing I saw was the mirror. The only thing I could see in the darkness was his stark white mask.

I stood up from the couch and slowly started making my way towards him.

"Come to me, angel of music"