6: The Nightmare

My nerves were getting the best of me today and I think Madame Giry was starting to notice my lack of focus. Tomorrow is the performance of Il Muto and the preparation has been anything, but easy. Act 3 is an entire ballet suite, with animals and swings, and nothing is coming together. Joseph never released the swings on time, the animals have not been cooperating, and someone has stepped on my foot at least five times. Madame keeps making us repeat parts over and over again, but we are all just extremely exhausted.

Not to mention, I will be singing tomorrow. Yes, M. Reyer chose me to sing. It's a fairly small part, but it is still quite prominent. I am playing the Confidante. And on top of that, Madame gave me the solo. So to say I was nervous wreck was a complete understatement!

"Alright, everyone take a break.", Madame Giry announced to all of us, seeming to realize our exhaustion. Meg and I found Christine off to the side of the stage.

"This whole process has been a complete disaster.", I said as Meg and I sat down next to Christine.

"Tell me about it. You try working with that wretched woman.", Christine said looking over at Carlotta.

I have neglected to tell Christine about the vision I had some days before or about my journey down to the catacombs. She hasn't seemed like herself ever since that night, so I thought it best not to tell her.

"Come take a walk with me. I need to get some fresh air.", Christine said to us. "If I hear Carlotta complain about one more thing, I think my head will explode."

As we were walking, no one was talking. We were just walking in silence. I had finally worked up enough courage to tell Christine and Meg the truth about what happened. I wanted to them about my encounter with the Phantom. I just didn't know what to say. I also wanted to tell them about what happened the other night, with Joseph, but I wasn't quite ready for that. I honestly think the only person I'll ever be able to talk about that with is Him.

"Can I tell you guys something?", I shyly asked.

"Why of course Lizzie. You can tell us anything.", Meg said as we came to a stop in the middle of the hallway.

"Something very bad is going to happen tomorrow night. I had a vision, I don't know exactly what it meant, but we need to be careful.", I said as I hesitate to say what else I needed to say. "And Christine, .... I....I...", my voice not being able to say.

"You what Lizzie?", she asked with concern in her voice.

"I met him. And, I saw you with him.", I quietly said, looking down at the ground. "Christine, please tell me what happened down there."

I looked up to see her face, which held a look of horror, tears were forming in her eyes. The color in her face had drained, like she had just seen a ghost.

"Lizzie no..", Christine started to say, but her sobs consumed her. 

"Why are you so scared? He's not...", but Christine interrupted me.

"Lizzie, please stop! I don't want to talk about it!", her outburst startled me. So, I didn't push her any further. 

I peered over to Meg, who looked puzzled. I didn't know if Christine had told her what happened that night. "Met who, Lizzie?", she questioned.

"The Phantom of the Opera.", I stated, well more whispered than anything. 

Had his face really scared her that much? Is it really that horrible to see? I am always so curious to find out what he is hiding underneath that mask of his, but I am far too frightened to even ask. I know that, if i do ask, he will say no. It can't be that bad, can it?

We all just stood there for a moment longer. Christine stayed absolutely silent, while Meg was confused as to what was going on.

"Come. We should probably get back to rehearsal.", I said, as I started back down the hallway.

--- 

"Lizzie, what's the matter? You haven't seemed like yourself this past week.", Raoul said as he sat down with me after rehearsal. I still haven't told anyone what had happened to me some days prior. I couldn't bring myself to tell them. I just tried to push those horrible memories out of my mind.