22: The Point of No Return

RAPHAEL'S POV

My palms were sweating and my knees felt weak. I also felt completely sick to my stomach. I couldn't help but think something was going to go terribly wrong. Elizabeth hated everything about this plan. She insisted that he would cause no more harm.

The last thing I want to do it put Lizzie in any sort of danger. The last thing I want to do is hurt her.

I love her.

But, I am being forced to go along with my brother's plan. He threatened to expose Elizabeth and make her an accomplice to Joseph Buquet's death. He twisted my words around to make it sound like Lizzie knew about it and that she helped him do it. That is not the case whatsoever.

I had to protect her because I am the one whole told Raoul that story. So, I agreed to do whatever Raoul told me to do.

A police officer escorted Raoul and I to Box 5. Sitting in this box made me feel quite uneasy. Elizabeth told me the whole reason he interrupted one of their performances was because Raoul was sitting in this box. Officers covered each exit to the theater. If he were to show up, there would be absolutely no way he could escape.

When Raoul sat down, he unbuttoned his overcoat. The light from the chandelier reflected off of something on his side.

A pistol.

My brother had a gun. I began to feel even more uneasy. Was Raoul going to take matters into his own hands?

My attention was taken away from Raoul as the music started.

"Here the sire may serve the dam

Here the master takes his meat"

Carlotta's dreadful voice rang through my ears. I hated her for the way she has treated Elizabeth these past couple of weeks. Just because she didn't get her way, she made Lizzie's life a living hell with all of her complaints. Lizzie was stepping on eggshells whenever Carlotta was around.

"Passarino, faithful friend..."

I have watched them rehearse this performance, over and over again, to make sure it was absolutely perfect. They couldn't settle for anything less than perfect. They needed to make it perfect or else they all feared the consequences from this Phantom. I can't wait until this performance is over, so Elizabeth can get some much needed rest.

"If I do not forget myself and laugh.."

I didn't realize I had zoned out until Raoul nudged my arm. Signor Piangi had just exited the stage, which means Elizabeth was about to enter the stage. Oh, how beautiful she looked! The voice of an absolute angel!

"No thoughts within her head but thoughts of joy

No dreams within her head but thoughts of love"

She looked up to the box Raoul and I were in, but just for a split second. Ever since Raoul came up with this plan, she has been quite upset with us. Raoul and Christine have barely spoken a word to her since the incident at the cemetery.

"Passarino,

Go away for the trap is set

And waits for its prey"

I was so focused on Elizabeth, I hadn't realized Signor Piangi had re-entered the stage. I don't know if it was just me, but he doesn't sound the same. Maybe my ears were deceiving me.

Elizabeth looked up to us again, seeming to plead with us. Plead to what? To not go along with the plan? He hasn't even showed up yet.

As Signor Piangi emerged from the background, my eyes widened and almost popped out of my head.