11: Return of a Dear Old Friend

ELIZABETH'S POV

"Imagine it now, a masquerade ball, to ring in the new year.", Andre announced to us in his office.

"And also, as a grand announcement that the opera house will be reopening.", Firmin chimed in.

"Monsieurs, I think that would be a lovely idea.", Madame responded.

"Since things have finally settled back down around here, I think it will be the perfect time.", M. Andre spoke up. "It seems almost too quiet. I have wondered if our clever friend has left us."

"Perhaps he did, or he simply died of loneliness.", M. Firmin laughed.

I rolled my eyes at their snarky remarks. The "opera ghost" is alive and well, thank you very much Messieurs. There comments did not sit well with me. Boy, oh boy, were they wrong. But, I couldn't help, but be extremely excited by this news. This means Christine and Raoul will come back. I looked over at Meg and she seemed to be just as excited as I was.

"Oh, I have just got to write to Christine and Raoul at once, to share the news!", Meg excitedly said as she grabbed my hand and rushed us out of the office.

We sat down in her room to construct the letter.

"Do you think your mother would let you come with me?", I asked as I had previously planned to go visit Christine and Raoul.

"I doubt it. That is a long journey that she will probably not let me take. Plus, I can't leave her alone on Christmas.", Meg said.

"I wish Madame would lighten up on you a little bit. We will be safe. Raoul said he would come escort us himself. Let me talk to her.", I said as Meg had finished up the letter.

I stated in the letter that I wanted to come visit two week before the ball and, then, we could all make the journey back together. Meg sealed the letter, just as Madame had entered her room.

"Bonjour Madame! How exciting is this? A masquerade ball!", I said as she made her way inside.

"Did you inform Christine and Raoul?", she had questioned us.

"Just finished up the letter, mother.", Meg said as she held the letter between her fingers.

"Madame, can I ask you something?", I hesitantly asked. She nodded.

"In the letter, I informed Raoul that I would like to come out and have a visit before the ball. He has told me in a previous letter that he would come back and escort me. I was wondering, if um, if Meg could come with me.", I asked, as Meg had taken hold of my hand.

She stared intently at us before giving us a response. "No.", she simply stated and then exited her room.

I felt Meg's grip tighten on my hand. I looked over to her and noticed that she was already crying.

"When will she ever stop being so protective and controlling over me!", Meg exclaimed through her tears. "I just want to go and have a little fun, but she has me on a leash and won't let go!"

***

I carefully closed the door to the Prima Donna dressing room. I closed it ever so slowly to make sure it didn't make a noise. Not many people were around today, but God knows whoever may be lurking in the shadows.

I knew Madame knew about my secret rendezvous with Erik, but that didn't mean I needed everyone else to know. After M. Andre and M. Firmin's announcement a couple of weeks ago about the upcoming masquerade ball, there have been quite a few people who have returned to help out with its preparation. It has made it a little harder to slip down into the catacombs unnoticed.