23: Elizabeth, I Love You...

RAPHAEL'S POV

I heard the echo of Madame Giry's footsteps bounce off the stone walls, as she made her way back up to the ground floor.

The opera house was burning. I didn't see the aftermath of the chandelier falling, but only one thing happens when wood meets fire.

I needed to find Lizzie and get her out of here as fast as I could. But, I was so damn scared to take another step. Madame warned me that this place is riddled with traps.

I took a deep breath and continued down the spiraling staircase. Each step I took was hesitant and cautious. But, I needed to hurry up.

Who knows what he could be doing to Lizzie right now? I can't bear to think of any harm coming to her.

But, only God knows what that monster is doing to her right now?

I needed to hurry. I needed to save her. So, I picked up my pace, almost becoming careless as to where I stepped.

That was a big mistake.

I took one step and the stone moved out from underneath me. I plummeted down into pitch black darkness. Once I landed back on my feet, the stone moved back to cover the opening.

I was trapped.

I couldn't see anything. I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face.

I placed my hands out in front of me and walked until my hands touched stone.

I touched the entirety of the wall in order to find some way out. But, I felt nothing. Just the smooth cold stone met my finger tips.

I burst into tears. I am trapped and there is no way out.

My legs gave out from underneath me and I collapsed to the ground in tears. It was no use. I couldn't escape from this torture chamber. No one would be able to hear my cries for help.

I am going to die here.

I punched the sandy floor because I was so angry with myself. I failed.

I failed to protect Elizabeth, like I was instructed to do.

I punched the ground again, but this time, my fist collided with a piece of stone. Pain shot through my hand and all the way up my arm.

I couldn't even focus on the pain right now. I needed to get out of this place.

Maybe this stone is the key for me to escape.

I stood up and jumped on the piece of stone as hard as I could.

Nothing happened.

I tried it again, but again, nothing happened.

I felt so frustrated and angry at this piece of stone that I just kept jumping on it, over and over again.

And finally, the stone sank further into the ground.

A thin strip of light was forming through the stone. I stood there and watched as the strip became wider and wider, revealing my way out.

I ran as fast as I could out of that chamber. I almost cried tears of joy, but I couldn't focus on myself right now.

I needed to find Elizabeth and save her from the Phantom of the opera.

ELIZABETH'S POV

"Am I now to be prey to your lust for flesh, Erik?"

My voice was just above a whisper as I exited the room, clad in the white dress he had forced me to put on. Tears were pouring out of my eyes and streaming down my cheeks.