32: The House by the Sea

ELIZABETH'S POV

"Elizabeth? Lizzie?", I heard Raphael's sing-songy voice on the opposite side of my door.

It brought a smile to my face to hear him sing. His voice is so lovely and he doesn't let it show very often.

"Raphael de Chagny!", I called back in the same tone of voice.

I set down my copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.It's a book that I have read too many times to count, so Raph's interruption was not a problem.

My door slowly swung open and Raph poked his head in.

"Where in the world have you been hiding?", he continued on, while making his way into my room.

"In my dungeon of my black despair, as always.", I said with a slight laugh.

I has been about two weeks since I have returned from that night.

That night beneath a moonless sky.

I have been managing, day by day. It is so hard to try and feel the slightest bit better when every thought is clouded with him.

Every. Single. Thought.

The only person who has kept me from slipping into complete insanity is Raphael. He is my light in this darkness. He has watched over me like a hawk. He made sure that I never skipped a meal, even if it was just simply a piece of fruit or vegetables. He sits in my room and night and talks with me until I find it in myself to close my eyes and fall asleep. He tries to get me to laugh every chance he gets. I don't know what I would do without him right now.

I can honestly say I have not said a single word to Raoul since returning. I have seen him while passing in the halls, but I tend to hold my head a little higher and walk with the utmost confidence, while completely ignoring him. I won't give him the time of day until he is man enough to apologize.

Christine, on the other hand, has tried to apologize. She realized her guilt, but it was way too late. Am I still angry with her? Yes. Will I eventually forgive her? Yes. But, for now, it is the cold shoulder. I will talk with her if she starts the conversation, but right now, I am not going out of my way to see or speak with her.

"Well, would you care to leave your dungeon and accompany me on stroll through the woods?", Raph asked, as he held out his hand for me to take.

"It's freezing outside.", I laughed, as I took his hand and stood up. "I am pretty sure it snowed last night."

"Bundle up. Come on, I want you to get some fresh air.", he said. "You have been cooped up in here for far too long."

I obliged and slipping on a pair of boots, while grabbing my heavy overcoat and slipping that on too. Once dressed, Raph slipped his fingers through mine and lead me out of my bedroom door, down the hall, and out the back door.

He seemed to have a little pep in his step today. His lips have held a smile even since he walked into my room. 

"Alright, what has you so happy this morning?", I asked, looking up to him. "You are unusually excited."

"I received a letter from my parents this morning.", he stated.

"How are they doing? When are they coming up? I would love to see them again.", I asked. "Oh, and where are they again?"

"They are doing great. They've been in Spain since before Christmas. I honestly cannot say how long they have been gone because I haven't seen them since I left for America. They didn't specify when they'll be home, but I would guess it would be soon. It is going on four months.  But, that's not why I'm excited."