14: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

I awoke to the feeling of my bed shifting underneath me. I slowly opened my eyes and was met with Erik standing next to my bed. His back was turned towards me.

"Good morning.", I softly spoke as he turned around to face me

"Good morning, my dear. I didn't mean to wake you.", his raspy morning voice filling my ears.

"It's quite alright. But, why are you leaving so early?", I questioned as I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Were you going to leave without saying goodbye?"

"Of course not, my dear. And I just figured I shouldn't be here when the Vicomte arrives.", he spoke as he knelt down next to my bed.

"What time is it anyway?", I questioned.

"I would guess it is about five in the morning.", Erik spoke in response.

"Five in the morning?", I exclaimed. "Erik, please stay a little while longer. He won't be here until seven."

"Oh alright, my dear.", he obliged and laid back on the bed with me. My head rested on his chest and his arm wrapped around my body. "So, tell me about the new Vicomte. Is he as insolent as his brother?"

"Erik!", I laughed as I playfully tapped his chest. "Raoul is not insolent and neither is Raphael."

"From my point of view, I beg to differ.", he spoke. "So, What does this Raphael do?"

"He is, in fact, an architect. Probably a much better one that you, I presume.", I playfully taunted him. "He told me he is currently working on a project in America. In New York to be exact. They're going to call it Coney Island."

"Coney Island? Sounds a bit corny if you ask me.", he responded with a chuckle.

"Oh, stop it.", I chuckled, as I playfully tapped his chest. "It sounds like it is going to be amazing."

"I bet his work doesn't even come close to mine. You have witnessed my talents down in the catacombs."

"Yes I have and it is breathtakingly beautiful."

Silence fell over us. I lifted my head off of his chest to see why he hadn't responded. His eyebrows were knitted together and he seemed to be lost in thought.

"Erik, are you alright?", I softly spoke.

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, my dear. I seemed to lose myself in my thoughts.", he said, turning to meet my gaze. "Elizabeth, my dear, can I ask you something?"

"Of course Erik. You can ask me anything.", I spoke, lifting my hand to caress his bare cheek.

He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. His eyes looked lost. He quickly closed his mouth, shook his head, and looked to the other side of the room.

"Erik, what is it?"

"Oh, um, nothing. It's nothing.", he quickly blurted out. "Nothing of importance, my dear."

"Please tell me what is on your mind. It is almost impossible for me to figure out what you are thinking."

"I beg you, Elizabeth. Please just drop it."

"Please.."

"Elizabeth, I said drop it!", he yelled as he stood up from my bed.

I sat there in shock and didn't dare say another word. His back was turned to me and his hands were placed on his hips. I looked down towards my hands as I started fiddling with my fingers.