34: Bon Voyage

ERIK'S POV

***

I sat at my organ, sheet music spread every which way around me. The singular candelabra was the only light in the room, just enough to light the organ. My fingers danced across the keys, playing the melody I was hearing in my mind.

Love never dies

Love never falter

I stopped my playing as soon as those words left my lips. I hadn't even thought of lyrics yet, but those two lines were a lovely start. I quickly wrote the words done on a sheet of paper that did not have music on it yet. I made sure to put it in a place where I wouldn't lose it.

I placed my hands back on the keys, putting the melodies I formed in my mind into physical form. I lost myself in the music. I closed my eyes and swayed along to the music as it graced my ears.

Once the last note rang out, I sat there, still with my eyes closed, taking in the beautiful masterpiece I had just created. I hadn't realized it, but through all of that, my breathing sped up, so I sat there bringing my breathing back to normal.

My skeleton nearly jumped out of my skin once I opened my eyes.

"That was absolutely beautiful!", my beautiful Elizabeth said, standing on the opposite side of the organ.

"Well, I thank you my love.", I responded. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to know that you just wrote the most beautiful aria the world will ever hear.", she said with the most beautiful smile on her lips.

"You are too kind my dear.", I responded with a smile.

I watched as she picked up the piece of paper I wrote the two lines of lyrics on.

"It is all I have right now. Would you sing for me?"

"Erik, you know you don't even have to ask that. I will always sing for you."

She could melt the Arctic glaciers with her smile.

I played her the bars where I think would best fit the lyrics, so she could get a feel for the music.

Love never dies

Love never falters

Her voice is like those of the angels from above.

Once it has spoken

Love is yours

I stopped playing after the last word.

"You added your own lyrics?", I questioned.

"Oh, did you not like...", she started, but I interrupted her.

"It sounded lovely my dear. I love what you added and maybe you could help me finish the rest.", I said with a smile, as I stood up.

I walked around to the other side of the organ, where Elizabeth stood. I reached out to touch her cheek, expecting to feel the warmth of her skin. But, as soon as I touched her, she turned into a cloud of smoke.

"Elizabeth?", I called out into the void.

The organ faded from view as the candle died out.

It was pitched black in every direction. I couldn't see my hand right in front of my face.

"ERIK!"

***

I shot up from my bed, panting hard and covered in sweat.

My eyes glared across the small room I was in. It was dark in the room, with a thin band of light coming in through the bottom of the door. The room was no larger than a broom closet, just enough for this small cot I was laying on and a trunk.