8: Music of the Night

"3 months! You're leaving us for 3 months?", Meg gasped as she sadly looked to Christine.

"It's not safe here right now. Firmin and Andre are closing down the opera house for the duration. Raoul said they'll reopen after the new year. There is no need for me to be here right now. Raoul is going to take me to his countryside home, where we'll stay.", Christine said as she packed up her things. "Lizzie, you are coming with us."

"What? Why do I have to go too?", I asked. In all honesty, I didn't want to leave the opera house. I didn't feel the need to leave. Yes, it would be closed for 3 months, but that doesn't mean I want to leave. This is my home.

"Because, it isn't safe here right now Lizzie. Now go pack your things. Raoul will be here shortly.", Christine demanded, but I wasn't having any of it.

"No. No, I'm not leaving. This is my home and this is where I am staying.", I said, metaphorically putting my foot down. All these years, Christine always felt the need to protect me- like any big sister should. But, I don't need her protection anymore. I am a grown woman and I can make my own decisions. "I don't need you to protect me anymore Christine. I'm a grown woman and I can make decisions for myself. I don't feel the need to leave so I'd like to stay here with Madame and Meg."

"Fine. You can stay here with that monster lurking about.", she spat. Those words made me angry. I should tell her the reasons why he killed Joseph. But, everytime I went to go tell her, my voice fell silent. It was so hard to try and talk about what happened.

"But, what about me Christine? I'll miss you very much.", Meg said, a hint of sadness to her voice.

"I'm sure Raoul would let you come visit. I will write to you every day. Oh, I'm going to miss you so much.", Christine said as she pulled Meg in for a hug.

I was angry with Christine. I didn't need her making decisions for me anymore. As I was about to turn and head for the door, there was a knock.

"Come in.", Christine proclaimed to the waiting guest. The door opened and in walked Raoul.

"Raoul!", I exclaimed as he pulled me in for a hug.

"Lizzie, how are you doing? Last night must have been terrifying for you... to be on stage when that happened.", Raoul said as he hugged me tightly.

"I must admit, I am still quite shaken up over it.", I said as we pulled away.

"Are your bags all packed?", he asked me.

"I already told Christine that I'm not going. I would like to stay here.", I simply said.

"Well, I can't force you to do anything, but if at all you don't feel safe. Please come and join us. Lizzie, Meg, you guys are always welcome to come visit, any time you'd like for however long you'd like.", Raoul said as he helped Christine with her things. "I'm sure Raphael would love to see you again."

A slight blush arose on my cheeks at the mention of Raph's name.

"I wish mother would let me go. I'd much rather be in the beautiful countryside, than be here right now.", Meg said softly as we exited Christine's room.

Meg and I followed Christine and Raoul outside to his carriage, that was waiting for them. I've never gone this long without seeing Christine for as long as I can remember. We were practically joined at the hip. After my parents died when I was very young, Christine's father welcomed me into his house with open arms. I never knew fatherly love, before moving in with them. When he laid dying, I truly considered him to be my actual father.

Raoul had placed the last of Christine's bags into the carriage. I felt tears form in my eyes. I know it will only be for a few months, but it's going to feel like an eternity. Christine turned to face Meg and I, tears forming in her eyes as well. All three of us hugged each other, not one of us wanting to let go. I backed away to say my farewell to Raoul.