3: The Mirror

I couldn't sleep that night. Meg had eventually went back to her room and fallen asleep. But, I just couldn't. When Raoul went to go fetch Christine, he claimed that the door had been locked. He also said he heard a voice in the room with Christine, but he did not know who.

Who's voice could that have been?

As I laid in my bed, I kept searching my brain for any clue I could possibly think of to decode my vision I had earlier in the night. My mind raced to try and find an explanation. Then, I came to a realization: that mirror is in Carlotta's dressing room! I quickly jumped out of bed and race towards that room.

As I approached the door, I suddenly stopped because I could hear a voice beyond the door. I quickly hid as the door opened to reveal Madame Giry and Meg exiting the dressing room. What were they doing in there? Had Christine returned?

Once they passed, I quietly made my way towards the door and went inside. As I walked in further, I was greeted by the giant mirror I had seen in my vision: the image burned into my mind. As I approached the mirror, I saw the mirror was slightly slid open. As I pushed the mirror aside, a long corridor was revealed to me. I grabbed the lantern that sat on the vanity and made my way inside. The walls were extremely damp and covered in cobwebs. I made sure to watch my step due to the numerous vermin that have made this place their home.

I slowly descended the spiraling stairs that led deep into the catacombs under the opera house. Once I reached the bottom, I was greeted by the shore of the underground lake. How am I supposed to cross this lake without a boat? If I were to swim through the water, I would surely be heard and I needed to stay as quiet as humanly possible.

"You should turn back. You have no idea who or what resides down here.", I thought to myself. I couldn't turn back now. I needed to find out what this vision meant because they always mean something.

I took a minute to take in my surroundings. I kept scanning the area in front of me, almost giving up because I saw nothing of use. I sighed, looking one last time around. And then, I saw something that looked promising. To my right, barely even noticeable in the very dim light, I saw a narrow corridor; a corridor that led to only God knows where. But, it was my only way through. I carefully walked along the short ledge that protruded out from the wall towards the mysterious hallway.

Frightened was an understatement as to how I felt right now. I held a tight grip onto the lantern in my hand, as it was the only source of lighting I had. This narrow corridor would have been pitch black without it. I had no idea where this would lead me, but I was on a mission to find out what my vision meant.

I soon saw a light at the end of this terrifying tunnel. I sped up my pace and, soon, I had reached the end. A gate had come into my view.

Through that gate, I saw what appeared to be a man sitting at an organ. His back was facing me, so I couldn't tell who he was. Soon, another figure had come into my view and I immediately gasped.

It was Christine! What was she doing down here?

As she walked towards this mysterious man, she appeared to be saying something softly, but I was too far away to hear what she was saying. My hair stood on ends as to what I heard next.

"Damn you!
You little prying Pandora!
You little demon
Is this what you wanted to see?
Curse you!
You little lying Delilah!
You little viper!
Now you cannot ever be free.
Damn you!
Curse you!"

The man had pushed Christine to the ground and screamed at her. She held something white in her hands, but I couldn't tell what is was. As he spoke, he held up a hand to shield his face. Why would he do that? My mind was wandering, trying to find an explanation to all of this. Soon, it hit me and it almost took my breath away.

This...This is him!

The Phantom of the Opera.

Before I could even comprehend what was happening, the gate started to open and a boat came into my view. I silently slid back into the tunnel, as to not be seen.

To my luck, the gate had stayed open. So, once the two were out of sight, I slid into the cold water and walked into his lair. Beautiful was an understatement. Magnificent candelabras decorated every table top. The massive organ was just divine. The cascading architecture of the cave was just breathtaking. I walked up to the organ and looked over the vast amount of sheet music that covered it.

I gasped as I came around one sheet in particular.

"Il Muto!", I whispered.

Why, that's our next production! Wait, the Phantom writes our performances? Everyone knew that the Phantom would make his presence known from time to time during rehearsals, but I never knew we were performing his masterpieces.

My heart rate sped up and my mouth felt dry. "What was I doing here? I really need to get out of this place.", I thought to myself as I turned around to head back to the tunnel in which I came. But, as I was about to step into the water again, I heard footsteps approaching fast. My body felt completely frozen. He can't be returning this quickly!

I needed to hide quickly. I turned around and saw a small room off to the side. A red curtain served as its door. I rushed over to that small room and hid behind the curtain.

I turned around his the small room and almost screamed as I saw a mannequin. The mannequin looked an awful lot like Christine. The mannequin was wearing a rather beautiful wedding dress. After that short scare, I turned my attention back to the situation I had put myself into. I carefully moved the curtain slightly to the side, so I could see where the man was.

He had taken a seat at his organ, looking deep in thought as his hands held his head. I pushed the curtain open a little more to get a better look at him. But, as I did, he turned his head in my direction. I quickly closed the curtain and retreated back into my hiding place. My heart was beating so fast, it felt as though it was about to leap out of my chest. I peered through the tiny space once more to find he was no longer where I had last seen him.  

I felt the blood drain from my face and felt frozen in place. "Please God, please tell me he didn't see me!", I frantically thought. I bit down on my tongue, as to not make a sound. My legs felt weak as my body began to shake in fear. But, my worst fears had been realized. Before I knew it, a rope had been thrown around my neck and I screamed out in terror.

"Who are you? And how did you find this place?", the man yelled.

I was too terrified to answer. He tightened the rope around my neck and I struggled to breathe. My fingers were trying to pry the rope away from my neck.

"Answer me!", his voice grew louder as I realized he had walked closer to me.

"Please don't hurt me Monsieur. I mean you no harm.", my trembling voice struggled to say.

"Why did you come here? What do you want?", he said and I could tell that he was standing directly behind me.

"I...I...I don't know Monsieur.", I quietly said as he tightened the rope once more.

"Give me one good reason as to why I shouldn't kill you right now!", his voice seething with anger.

My mind had drawn a blank. I didn't know what to answer. But then, "Christine! I'm Christine's sister!", I whispered because the rope was so tight around my neck.

His next actions took me by complete surprised. The rope had loosened around my neck, as he let go. I fell to the ground gasping for air. My vision had gone blurry due to the tears that had formed. I glanced up to the man behind me. Half of his face was covered with a white mask.

He looked down at me in disbelief and quietly whispered, "Elizabeth."