17: Wandering Child

"Ludicrous, have you seen this score?", Monsieur Reyer cried out, looking over the music he was handed. "We simply cannot learn this in the time given. We are going to have to push back the opening. If we are to please the ghost, it must be perfected."

"Simply ludicrous, it's the final straw! We will not push back the date Monsieur Reyer.", Monsieur Andre screamed. "I have had enough. We are not performing this, this Don Juan."

"Andre please. It is utter lunacy, but we daren't refuse. We certainly cannot have another repeat of Il Muto. If we don't obey his orders, I'm scared our worst fears will be realized.", Monsieur Firmin said, his hands visible shaking.

"Monsieur Andre, Monsieur Firmin. I have a note.", Madame said, entering onto the stage.

"Look my friend what we have here.", M. Andre said, taking the note from Madame.

From what I could overhear, the note had gave instructions about changes to the orchestra and the chorus. Some players were not living up to his expectations.

Rehearsal has turned into complete chaos. The music is in such a weird key, that the orchestra has had a tough time playing. If they couldn't play the music, then the ensemble cannot rehearse. If the orchestra cannot get the first part of the Opera in order, we can't move on to my part. I've just been sitting here, just waiting to do something.

"Outrage. This whole affair is an outrage. Have you seen the size of my part?", Carlotta yelled, storming onto the stage. Her sheet music was crumpled in her hand.

"Senora listen..", M. Firmin started, but was quickly interrupted.

"It's an insult. Just look at this, it's an insult.", Signor Piangi cried out.

"The things I have to do for my art. If you could even call this gibberish art", Carlotta said, throwing the music down on the ground. The paper scattered every which way.

"Senor, Senora, would you speak that way in the presence of the composer?", Madame Giry interrupted, sternly raising her eyebrows.

"The composer is not here!", Carlotta fought back.

"Are you so sure of that, Signora?", Madame questioned. I laughed a little when I saw Carlotta look up and duck away. If only he could interrupt this dreadful rehearsal.

Please Erik, if you are watching this, please get me out of here. I feel suffocated by everyone's stares.

"Why does your precious little ingenue receive the greatest role in this, this Don Juan?", Carlotta said, cutting her eyes towards me. "She doesn't even have the voice to do this!"

All morning, Carlotta has complained and complained about her small role she was given. And all morning she has bashed my ability to sing.

"I didn't choose to do this.", I said through gritted teeth.

"You're the one behind this, Elizabeth Daae. I know of it!", she yelled, walking over to me.

"How dare you accuse me of this! You evil woman!", I yelled back. "You think I want to do this? But, remember the last time you all disobeyed the Phantom? Do you really want that to happen again?"

She backed away at my little outburst. I knew he wanted me to be his angel— his star, but I just don't know if I can do this anymore. I felt completely comfortable singing in front of him. But, it was just him. I didn't have Carlotta breathing down my neck. I didn't have Messieurs Reyer, Firmin, and Andre criticizing my every move. I didn't have one hundred eyes staring at me.

No. It was just him.

"Signora please! We need to rehearse. Okay, once again!", Maestro interrupted, pounding some keys on his piano. "Signor Piangi, after 7. Those who tangle with Don Juan!"

"Those who toongle with Don Juan!"

Everyone was in an upheaval because Piangi had not pronounce the verse right, once again. Maestro was getting really upset with Piangi and started pressing random keys on his piano. He then walked over to Piangi, holding the music, and gave him clear instructions. And then everyone started talking among themselves. Carlotta's voice, of course, was louder than anyone else's.

I was standing off to the side, away from everyone else, alone. I placed my elbows on the piano and put my head in my hands. Why can't I just be down the hall dancing with Christine and Meg? I don't want to be here.

Soon, a red hot glow engulf my face as I noticed the candles on the piano ignited all by themselves. Soon, the piano began to play a menacing melody all by itself.

Everyone stopped and stared at the piano. They all, in unison, started singing, but I honestly couldn't comprehend what they were saying. How could he be doing this? It doesn't make any sense. I looked all around to find him, but saw nothing.

As I stood there, I felt my body go numb and my sight had faded away. A vision. It has been months since my last one.

Fire.

All I saw was fire.

And just as quickly as the vision came, it was gone. As my eyesight came back to me, I looked over at everyone and they had their fingers pointed directly at me.