25: Aftermath

RAPHAEL'S POV

I watched as Elizabeth jumped off of the side of the boat back into the water. I immediately sprung into action and jumped in after her.

"Go back up and get out of here. I will go get her.", I said, motioning for Raoul and Christine to leave without us.

"Stay safe, brother.", Raoul nodded and continued on.

I was trying to run through the water to catch up with Elizabeth. Even in that heavy dress she was wearing, I couldn't catch her until we reach his home once again.

I watched as she checked each and every room, looking for him. But, she and I already knew he had fled. He wasn't here.

"Erik!", she yelled out into the void, but there was no response.

She was crying uncontrollably. I could see her shoulder shake with each and every sob. Her chest was rising and falling at an extremely fast pace.

I extended my hand out and placed it on her shoulder to try and soothe her. It must have startled her because she jumped at my touch. She spun around quickly, with almost a cheerful look on her face, but it soon fell when she realized it was only me.

"Elizabeth, we need to go. The mob is coming and the opera house is burning. We need to hurry.", I calmly explained to her. She didn't move an inch.

The mob was getting closer and closer. I could hear their chants getting louder and louder and yet, Elizabeth still did not move an inch.

Her eyes seemed to gloss over, and not just from her tears, before they closed. Her body went limp, but I caught her before she touched the ground.

"Elizabeth? Elizabeth, are you okay?", I frantically asked brushing her hair out of her face, but she did not respond. "Elizabeth, open your eyes. Please."

She just laid limp in my arms. My head snapped up when I heard someone sloshing through the water.

"Raphael?", I heard Meg's voice call out.

"Meg! Meg, she fainted.", I said, as I looked back down to Elizabeth. Meg quickly made her way over to us.

"What happened? Why did she faint?", she quickly asked, crouching down to my level.

"It is a long story, that I will explain later. But, first I need to get her out of here. What is the quickest way back up?", I asked, scooping Elizabeth into my arms and picking her up.

"I'll have John lead you back up.", Meg said, motioning behind me. I turned around to be greeted by a group of at least twenty people. More than half of them were police officers.

A man stepped out from the group, who I assume is John, and I followed him, as quickly as I could, back to the surface. Hiking through the canal is not so easy when carrying another person.

"When you get to the top of the stairs, take a left. Do not take a right. A right will lead you back into the opera house. A left will take you outside.", John explained as we reached the long, winding staircase.

"Thank you, Monsieur.", I nodded, before sprinting up the stairs. I made sure to watch my step this time because I didn't want to fall into one of his traps again, especially not with Elizabeth.

The higher I climbed, the more the space began to fill with smoke. I needed to hurry my pace and get the hell out of here.

With the combination of the countless number of stairs I climbed, carrying Elizabeth, and the smoke, my body was tiring faster than it should. It was becoming harder to climb. I was almost to the top, but I had to stop for a quick breather.