27: The White House With the Red Door

"Ms. Daae does not wish to speak to any of you vultures, so if you do not leave the premise at once, I will call the police and have you taken to jail for trespassing.", I heard Raphael's anger voice yelling through the halls. The slamming of the front door was then followed.

For the past three weeks, reporters from all over flocked to the manner.

For what? A one on one interview with me, the famous girl who was 'kidnapped by the opera ghost'.

For the past three weeks,the opera ghost head line covered every Paris newspaper, probably every newspaper in France.

And they all wanted to talk to me.

Three weeks.

It had been three weeks since that night.

I've hardly left my room. It is hard to when you don't feel welcome here. I've spoken a handful of words to Christine and Raoul since coming here. It is like I mean nothing to them anymore. It's not like I wanted to speak to them either. They are selfish for putting their feelings and emotions before mine and not even taking into consideration of how I felt.

I feel as if I am just existing right now. I feel like a hollow shell of the woman I was, just three weeks ago. He took me with him. Not my physical body, but everything else.

My heart. My soul. My mind. My happiness. My everything.

They all reside with him.

The only thing that is keeping me sane right now is Raphael. He has been there since the moment I realized Erik disappeared. Raph has kept me in his sight, but has respected my wishes to be alone when I want. But, he is always in calling range.

I heard footsteps approaching my room, so I pretended to bury my nose back into the book I am currently reading. I already know who was going to walk through my door.

"Vultures. Bloody vultures.", an angry Raph said, waltzing through my bedroom door. "They just can't leave you alone, can they?"

"Maybe I should just give them what they want. So, they will finally stop.", I softly said, closing the book and setting it down in my lap.

"No, you can't feed into them because they will keep coming back for more.", he said, taking a seat on the couch next to me. "How are you feeling this morning?"

He reached his hand out to take mine into his, lacing our fingers together. I've noticed Raph doing this a lot lately, and I let him. I took it as a sign of comfort and compassion. He held my hand to show me that he was here for me, through this dark time.

"In all honesty, I feel suffocated and unwelcome.", I quietly said, placing my free hand on top of our laced fingers.

"What on Earth do you mean Lizzie?", Raph said in confusion. He turned his body so he was completely facing me.

"I'm scared to leave my room because I don't want to confront Christine or Raoul. I know they don't want me here. I feel like such a burden to you."

"I don't care if they want you here or not. I want you here. You are not a burden and you will never be one. What kind of friend would I be if I wasn't here for you, Lizzie? I'll tell you, I'd be an awful person not to try and comfort you. Christine and Raoul are awful people for putting you through all of this. Trust me, I haven't spoken to them unless I needed to.", Raph explained, reaching his free hand to brush a strand of hair out of my face.

"Raphael de Chagny, have I ever told you how wonderful of a person you are?", I said, tears forming in my eyes.

"You don't need to tell me, but I need you to stop crying, okay? You've done far too much of that.", he said, wiping away a fallen tear. "No more tears."