7: Il Muto

"Go, go , go, go", I was quickly rushed out on stage by Madame Giry. Well, it's showtime. I galloped out onto the stage quite excitedly, since this was my first chance at singing. But, my god am I so nervous to mess up.

The crowd erupted into a fit of applause when the two fops and I galloped out onto the stage.

"They say that this youth has set my lady's heart aflame!", I sang confidently.

"His lordship sure would die of shock!"

"His lordship is a laughing stock!"

"Should he suspect her God protect her!"

"Shame! Shame! Shame!"

This faithless lady's bound for Hades! Shame, shame, shame!"

The curtain rose to revel Christine and Carlotta on the bed, pretending to have an intimate moment. I, along with everyone else, couldn't help, but laugh.

"Serafimo, your disguise is perfect.", Carlotta said to Christine. "Why, who can this be?"

There was a knock on the stage door and out walked Signor Piangi as the husband.

"Gentle wife, admit your loving 

Husband."

As he came out, he pretended to tap Meg on her rump. The crowd laughed at Meg's reactions.

"My love - I am called to England

on affairs of State, and must

leave you with your new maid.

Though I'd happily take

the maid with me."

Once again, the crowd laughed. At least this part of tonight's performance will be a hit. The ballet, not so much.

"The old fool is leaving"

Carlotta announced to the crowd. Signor Piangi pretended to leave the stage area, but actually hit in the wardrobe prop located next to the bed.

"Serafimo - away with this pretence!

You cannot speak, but kiss me in my husband's absence!"

Carlotta held up a fan in front of her and Christine, as they pretended to kiss. The crowd erupted into laughter. I took a quick glance out to the crowd and, from what I could tell, it seemed to be a full house. The sight just added to my nerves.

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh! Haha, Haha!

Ha HA Ha HA ha ha ha ha

Time I tried to get a better better half!"

I tried paying attention throughout the performance, but my mind was wandering somewhere else. Even though I had to sing with the ensemble, my mind continued to wander. I kept looking up. Looking up to the ceiling of the opera house, up to the rafters above the stage, just waiting to see what my vision meant.

"Poor fool he doesn't know!
Hohohohoho...
If he knew the truth, he'd never, ever go"

"Did I not instruct that box five was to be kept empty?"

I froze in my spot. I know that voice. I looked over towards Christine and she knew immediately as well.

"He's here. The Phantom of the Opera.", Meg quietly whispered next to me.

"It's him.", I heard Christine whisper as well.

"You're part is silent little toad.", Carlotta exclaimed to Christine as she walked off to the side of the stage. If my focus wasn't completely fixed on finding where he was hiding, I would have totally given Carlotta a piece of my mind for her rude comment towards Christine.