three

ruby athens.

The Royal Ballroom looked mesmerising.

The Emperor went all out for this great celebration, as always. Usually, only the noblest of nobles attend the royal parties but this celebration was for every noble out there.

The Empire's army had successfully won the biggest war which had finally ended after two years. It was the our empire's greatest victory so far.

I enter the ballroom, alongside my father and brother. All eyes were on us. Most of them curtsy while some men bow their heads at my father. Well, he was the Grand Duke. A powerful man only after the royal family.

"It's your time to shine, dear sister," my brother mocks, smiling at me, "Make sure to find someone who can at least not get on your nerves. Oh, wait. That's impossible."

"And you're the future duke of our dukedom? How unpleasant," I shake my head, "Speak like a respectful duke, you fool."

"Ruby," he drawls out my name, narrowing his eyes at me, "I am respectful!"

"Clearly not respectful enough to earn my respect," I frown, "Hope you find someone to entertain you, brother." I turn around on my heel, walking away from the nuisance.

Well, one of the nuisances in my life. Being a pretty lady meant having loads of nuisances in life. Mostly them being immature boys. Men on the outside, boys on the inside.

"You look decent, for once."

There he is. The most infuriating, immature young man I know.

I put on my best, stunning smile. Everyone was watching the interaction between him and I. After all, it was the crown prince and the grand duke's daughter who had known each other for forever.

"Greetings, Your Highness," I curtsy, watching him stare at me with a blank expression.

"And thank you," I force a smile, knowing my father was staring at me from the back, "That was the most charming compliment I have received from you," I tilt my head a little, "If not only," I murmur under my breath.

His face is still blank, devoid of any emotion as he stays silent. He didn't even look the slightest bit annoyed. Well, that is surprising.

He takes a step closer to me, "Smile, Ruby," he murmurs, "There's men looking at you."

I furrow my eyebrows together, staring at him in confusion, "You want me to flatter them with my smile?"

"Silly, love," he smiles, a smile so devious, "Your smile will drive them away. It's awful. So, so unbearable to look at."

My hands are aching to punch his beautiful face.

"Just my smile, right?" I chuckle.

I take a step closer, "But for you, my dear prince, it's your whole existence that is awful," I murmur, smiling as he tenses up, hardening his gaze at me, jaw clenched at me.

"Smile, my lovely prince. Or else they won't be flattered by that face of yours," I bite my lip, holding back the grin forcing to make its way to my mouth.

"You talk too much, love," he murmurs, taking steps closer to me until our noses touch, "But I guess it's that big mouth of yours that keeps me entertained," he whispers, placing his hand on my waist and pulling me towards him.

It's not until he intervenes our fingers together that I realise he has pulled me into a dance. The first dance of the night and we were right in the centre of everyone, dancing right under the huge diamond chandelier.

He stretches my arm, twirls me around and we both look into each other's eyes as we move.

He goes down on one knee, his other hand high enough as I hold onto it and walk around him, holding onto our eye contact. I walk around him twice before he gets up and he puts his hand around my waist again.

It felt intense. Even though his face was emotionless, his emerald eyes weren't looking at me in hatred, rather I would almost consider it adoration. Almost.

His jaw clenches and his grip on my hands tighten but is not strong enough to cause me the slightest pain. The softness in his eyes has disappeared and he is now glaring at something.

Someone.

The music stops.

"May I have the honour to have the next dance with you, Lady Ruby?"

The Prince and I stop in our spots. Everyone stops and moves around to look for new partners.

I turn my head around and my eyes land on the familiar blue-eyed stranger, stretching his hand towards me for me to hold it.

But I couldn't, The Prince was still holding onto my hand, not daring to loosen his grip on it.

The blue-eyed man smiles at me, a smile so sweet that my stomach fluttered at the sight. I smile back at him and nod.

I step forward towards him but I can't move any further since he is holding my hand. I turn my head around and look at him before glancing at his hand around mine.

I sigh, "Can you let go of my hand, Your Highness?"

His gaze lands on me, he stares into my eyes for a few seconds and then slowly moves his gaze towards our interlocked hands. His eyes widen slightly as if he hasn't realised that he was still holding onto my hand.

He glances at the man in front of me with such disgust before he turns around, walking away from us, ignoring the crowd of young ladies wanting to dance with him and now all their hopes were crushed as they watched him walk outside.

"Fool," I whisper under my breath, rolling my eyes at him.

I turn around and the man holds my waist, intervenes our fingers together as we start dancing. He smiles throughout, his blue eyes glistening under the light of the diamond chandelier.

"Your beauty seems to gain everyone's attention, Lady Ruby," he murmurs, being amused at the stares I was getting behind my back.

I chuckle, "It's quite normal now. They all want me to choose one of them as my fiancé. The list of names I have to choose from is infinite."

"Oh?" He hums, twirling me around, "Well, then I'm sure that you must have at least someone in mind."

I shake my head, "No one," I state, "No one caught my attention yet."

"But you certainly caught my attention."

The music stops. Everyone stops dancing and I'm still staring into his eyes.

"Ruby," I hear my father's voice and I turn around, watching him and the Emperor stand behind us. The man and I bow our heads before he starts talking.

"You seem to already have met our most important guest today," my father throws a smile at the blue-eyed man.

"Oh?" I blink, turning around to look at the man in confusion.

"Did you forget to introduce yourself to the empire's diamond?" The Emperor chuckles.

"Well, I was waiting for the right moment," the blue-eyed man smiles.

"Let me introduce you." The Emperor smiles, "Lady Ruby, this whole celebration is dedicated to him," he points at him.

"Our Supreme Commander. Duke Elias Vasikalis."