fifteen

ruby athens.

"What the hell is that?" Aaron points to the flower garland, made by Elias, around my neck.

"Do I need to spell it out for you?" I scoff, rolling my eyes at him.

He grabs my wrist and pulls me closer to him as he stares at the flower garland. He lifts his hand and pulls the flower garland away from my neck, throwing it on the ground.

I gasp, "Aaron, why the hell did you do that?" I glare at him as I glance at the shredded flower garland on the floor.

He lets out a laugh, rolling his eyes at me.

"This is not even funny," I slap his arm lightly.

"Ruby," he chuckles, "My sweet, innocent, stupid Ruby. Those flowers are poisonous."

He touches my neck, grazing his fingers against the side of my neck, "Your neck already has rashes on it. It's so red," he murmurs, "You're having an allergic reaction."

I stay quiet for a few seconds, "What?" I murmur as he takes my hand, placing my fingers it the rashes were.

"You're so stupid, love," he rolls his eyes, grabbing my hand, "I thought you would be smart enough to realise that they were poisonous. I'm so disappointed in you, love," he laughs as he pulls me behind me.

"But I wasn't the one who made it," I mutter, "Hence, I didn't realise that."

"Let me guess?" Aaron turns around to glance at me, "Your commander fiancé made it for you?" He watches me nod slowly before letting out a chuckle, "Maybe he's trying to get rid of you."

"No. That's something you'll do," I scoff, "Remember when you tried poisoning me?"

He scoffs, "Emphasis on tried, love. You're still here, breathing and cursing me every second."

He pushes open the door, and the man inside smiles at us, "You're back again, your highness. How may I help today?" The Royal Doctor glances between us.

"Lady Athens is having an allergic reaction to the poisonous flowers," Aaron pushes me forward, "There are rashes on her neck," he digs his hand into his pocket, "It's this one."

The doctor glances at the flower, narrowing his eyes, "I'm sure that these flowers don't grow in the palace court," he states, gesturing for me to sit on the chair.

"I'm gonna apply a special serum, Lady Athens," the man opens the huge cupboard, "It's going to burn but the rashes will disappear in seconds."

"Okay," I murmur, holding back to itch the rashes. I could feel the rashes spreading.

"Wait," I see Aaron step closer to me. He brushes his fingers through my hair and moves it back, keeping it away from the rashes.

The doctor wears his gloves and opens the small bottle. He pours the liquid on the cotton wool pad and dabs it on my neck.

God, it burnt more than I expected. I close my eyes slowly, trying to distract myself while he applied the ointment to the rashes.

Elias. The flowers that I used to make his flower crown were much different so he was probably not going through what I went through. Lucky him.

"All done, Lady Athens," the doctor smiles, "The rashes are all gone now. You're quite lucky that you just had an allergic reaction instead of getting poisoned. You have a strong defence mechanism."

I smile a little, "Thank you. Once again."

"Even your body is stubborn like you, Ruby," Aaron chuckles, leaving my hair as I stand up.

I narrow my eyes at him as I stare at him for a few seconds. I sigh, "Thank you, Aaron."

He blinks before placing his hand on his heart, gasping at me, "Did the Ruby Athens just say her first ever thank you to me? Her proclaimed hater? Shocking. I'm so shocked."

"Aaron." I groan, "Not funny," I watch him grin at me.

"I'm honoured to save you from dying on my palace grounds, love," he smiles, saluting me with his two fingers.

"But I wouldn't have died," I furrow my eyebrows at him as we leave the room.

He blinks, "You did not just say that after I saved your life."

I part my lips a little, narrowed my eyes at him, "No. You saved me from those rashes spreading all over."

"I still saved you," he states, "Be thankful, love."

"I did say thank you," I glare at him, "It took me a lot of effort to say that."

"Saying thanks and being thankful is very different, love," he looks at me.

"Oh, and you're teaching me this?" I arch an eyebrow, "The snobby Prince Aaron?"

"Correction," he coughs, "The beautiful, smart and powerful Prince Aaron Romain of Selene."

"You are none of that," I scoff, inwardly crying at my lie. He was undoubtedly all of that. 

He lowers his head, and moves his lips closer to my ear, "How many times will you lie to yourself, my love? It's embarrassing to watch you try so hard to lie to yourself," he chuckles.

I push his face away from mine, "Please keep your distance from me," I murmur, "I have a fiancé. I can't be seen so close to you."

He rolls his eyes, placing his hand on my head, "No one would dare to talk about me and you behind my back. They can't," he smiles, "Or else I will personally make sure that they rot in prison."

"You would go that far for something as little as talking about us behind your back?" I murmur, staring at him in confusion.

"Nothing is little when it comes to you, love," he chuckles.

And for the second time, Aaron gave me butterflies.

But I tell myself that I got them in fear.

The fear of liking Aaron, even to the slightest degree.