eighteen

ruby athens.

"Why are you in my chamber?" I narrow my eyes at him.

He scoffs, "Maybe because this is my chamber?"

I blink at his words, "What?" I look around the room I was in, stare at the walls and finally realise that I wasn't in my room.

He takes a seat on the armchair, "You fell asleep and wouldn't wake up," he stares at me, "And I couldn't be asked to carry you back to your room. You weigh more than an elephant."

"Did you carry an elephant?" I arch an eyebrow.

"No," he narrows his eyes.

"Then how would you know?" I roll my eyes at him as I take the duvet off my body and stand up.

"I just do," he shrugs.

I walk towards the door but I'm stopped before I could even open the door, "Stay for two minutes before you leave," he stands up.

"Why?" I look back at him, watching him walk toward me.

"There are guards outside and they'll change shifts in two minutes. You can go now if you don't mind," he shrugs.

"Is it that shocking that I left your room?" I scoff, "After all these years we have known each other, I don't think it's a surprise."

He chuckles, "But love, our bond is not amicable at all. So why would you even be here?" He tilts his head at me as he leans on the door.

I stare at him, "Good point," I frown, "This is all your fault!"

"How?" Aaron scoffs, crossing his arms, "It's all yours since you chose to consume all those bottles by yourself."

"If you were a true gentleman, you would have dropped me off in my room," I narrow my eyes at him.

"Who said I was?" He arches an eyebrow at me, waiting for an answer.

"No one," I let out a scoff, "That is why I said if, your highness."

He opens the door for me, "Leave, Ruby," he states, not even bothering to glance at me.

I step on his foot, twisting my foot on his and walk out of the room with a smile. I don't even bother turning around to look at him as he shouts my name.

I quickly walk to the elevator and get off at my floor. I enter my bedroom and lock the doors. I take my clothes off and step into the bathtub, the maids must've prepared it for me.

An hour passes and I'm sitting in the marble gazebo, reading a novel peacefully. I lean back and cross my legs as I flip the page.

I feel a hand grab my shoulder out of nowhere but I don't flinch. I place the book next to me and turn around to look at him.

"Good morning to my beautiful fiancée," Elias smiles, kissing my cheek.

I smile at him as he takes a seat next to me, "What are you doing here so early?"

"Combat training begins from today," he looks at me, "And since I'm their perfectly amazing Supreme Commander, I have to train them."

"Mhm," I narrow my eyes at him, "You have a ton of responsibilities then," I chuckle, "Yet you're sitting next to me, carefree."

"Of course, sweetheart," he laughs, "You are my fiancée. One of my responsibilities is to be with you."

I arch an eyebrow, "So you'll be willing to stay here, with me, even if your commander calls you back to look over the squad?"

"Well," he hums, leaning back, "That depends on how bad they need me back there."

"Right," I mumble.

"Oh, Ruby," he looks at me, "Those flowers from yesterday, a knight told me that they were poisonous. Is your neck alright?" Elias glances at my neck and grazes his fingers down my neck.

"Ah," I smile, "I'm fine," I watch him stare at my non-bruised neck.

"Woah," he gasps, "You're blessed with immunity."

"No," I shake my head with a smile, "That is just what you think, Elias."

"Really?" He tilts his head, "Then what's the other explanation?"

I definitely was not going to tell him that our Crown Prince had attempted to poison him.

"You know what? I think I'm just immune," I nod, "That does sound about right."

He stares at me for a few seconds before giving me a nod, "You are the Ruby Athens. You being immune is very possible," he smiles.

"The Ruby Athens?" I chuckle, "What have you been hearing about you?"

"Oh," he grins, "Loads and loads."

"All good things? I hope," I narrow my eyes at him, holding back a smile.

"Obviously," he grins, "One of the things I heard was that you draw better than Da Vinci."

I gasp, "Now, I wonder who started that rumour. I cannot even draw," I shake my head with a small smile, "Are stickmen considered art?"

He laughs, "Yes, they are, sweetheart."

"Great," I smile, "Then I dare say that I could possibly be better than Da Vinci."

"Fantastic," he claps, "Another thing I heard was that you are the smartest in the Selene Empire."

"I am," I smile proudly, "On the same level as Prince Aaron but right now, let's forget about him. Although he does a brain, he doesn't use it."

Elias lets out a laugh, "He does use it, sweetheart. He has been the Royal Army's strategist ever since he turned sixteen. Although the army does all the physical work, he is the force behind us."

"Strategist?" I arch an eyebrow, "I never knew that."

"He does it in secret," Elias chuckles, "Only the emperor and I know about this."

"Did you just tell me a secret that no one was supposed to know?" I stare at him in surprise.

He shrugs, "Well, you are my fiancée so it doesn't matter."

I smile, "So will you tell me more secrets?"

"I have some news, but what do you want to know?" He smiles back.

"Everything," I face him.

"The search for a bride for the Crown Prince has begun."