twenty eight

ruby athens

It has been right over thirty seconds ever since Aaron stepped out of the chamber. Since then, all I heard was gunshots being fired. However, it's been quite silent for a few seconds.

My heart starts racing wildly while I hope that nothing happened to him. He was impossible to kill, let alone touch.

I couldn't wait any longer. I push my hand against the button, watching the door open slowly. I step out and walk towards the stairs, looking down at the floor below.

Twenty men were on the ground, brutally bleeding to death, groaning in pain, their hands stretched towards Aaron who stood tall in the centre.

I'm sick in the head for thinking that he looked so damn attractive.

As if he could feel my gaze, he looks up, his eyes meet mine and he smiles. His eyes which were devoid of any emotion are full of joy.

A little gasp escapes my lips as I watch one of the men hold a dagger and crawl towards him. Aaron lifts his gun and shoots the man to death while still staring at me.

"Let's get out of here, love," he says. "Walk to me."

I do as he says. I walk down the stairs but he was standing at the end of the staircase. He moves closer to me and surprisingly lifts me up with one arm, easily holding me. I gasp in surprise and wrap my arms around his neck as he carries me.

"I'm not going to let you step anywhere near that filth," he says, rolling his eyes.

"That's sweet of you," I murmur, "But you can let me down now. We're out of the office." I remind him.

He doesn't utter a word and keeps on walking. I don't bother asking him again.

There's no guards on this entire floor and we both noticed that. He walks into the elevator and presses a button. The elevator goes up and soon stops, opening the doors again.

Guards step in front of him as soon he walks out. "Take care of the bloody mess in my office," he says, staring at them harshly before walking away.

He opens the door to his room and walks forward, gently keeping me onto his bed. He keeps his hands on my shoulders and looks straight into my eyes, "Being with me comes with a threat to your life, like you've seen just now. Are you still—"

I roll my eyes at him. "Aaron, this is nothing. I will never not want to marry you because of this." I graze my fingers across his cheek. "You know better than anyone else in this empire that I am capable of destroying anything in my way."

He stares into my eyes for a few more seconds and then closes his eyes, smiling to himself. He leans forward, his forehead touches mine. "You drive me insane, Ruby, and I can't help but love it." He moves his lips to my ear. "This insanity might just make me devour you."

He opens his eyes and looks straight into mine. His gaze has melted everything inside of my body to the point I'm losing the ability to breathe.

"Why haven't you?" My voice barely comes out as a whisper. "Isn't that all you ever wanted?"

He tilts his head and smiles. "You are all I ever wanted, Ruby." He grazes his thumb against my bottom lip. "You do not have any idea how deep my desperation for you runs in my veins."

"Tell me how desperate you are." I murmur, moving my hand up his arm. "Tell me, Aaron."

"Allow me to show it to you, my love," he says and then he kisses me, soft and gentle before it turns hard.

He breaks the kiss and goes down on one knee, taking my hand into his. "I have loved you desperately since we were children, Ruby. You don't even have to accept my love, just let me love you and protect you. All I ever want is to breathe next to you."

My heart has melted, my chest feels so light, as if all the pain in here has disappeared at the sound of his words.

An unwelcoming knock on the door shatters the atmosphere around us. All I could hear were bells ringing, louder than ever and this could only mean one thing.

We have been attacked.

"Your highness, the palace has been invaded by the Asturians!"