twenty four

ruby athens.

"Are you alright, sweetheart?" Elias touches my cheek but I push his hand away.

"What's wrong?" he frowns.

"You," I narrow my eyes at him, "I do not want you anywhere near me."

Elias laughs, "Did the fever make you joke around?"

"What makes you think I'm joking around?" I arch an eyebrow, "I mean it in every way, Duke Vasikalis."

His smile fades, "Ruby, what are you trying to say?"

I pull his ring off my finger and drop it on the ground, "Our engagement is done. I'm ending it."

He stares at me in confusion before letting out a laugh.

Psycho.

"You can't end our engagement so easily, Ruby," he takes a step closer, an evil smile on his lips, "This is a noble engagement and it can only be annulled by the Royal Family. Plus, would your father really be happy with this thoughtless decision of yours?"

I fake a smile, "My father is nothing compared to the Royal Family," I chuckle, "Do you really think the Emperor wouldn't listen to me? He favours me more than you."

"And," I take a step closer, "This engagement isn't hard to break if I'm marrying the future Emperor," I shrug, smiling at him.

He furrows his eyebrows, "What?"

I move my arm back, pointing to the figure who had just joined our conversation, "Meet my future husband, Duke Vasikalis."

"The Crown Prince of Selene."

Aaron stands next to me, smiling at him, "This is hilarious," he laughs, "I met you before as the Crown Prince," he chuckles, "Now, I'm meeting you as her future husband, Vasikalis."

Elias widens his eyes in pure shock and hatred, "You're going to marry him out of all men? I would have never expected that, Ruby."

"It is Lady Athens for you," I state, "We are no longer related."

"Not officially," Elias clicks his tongue, "I am warning you, Ruby. You are making the wrong decision."

"How dare you talk to her like that?" Aaron scoffs, standing in front of me, easily towering over the man in front of him, "Talk to her like that once again and I'll make sure you have nothing to your name."

Elias stays silent for a few seconds before nodding slowly, "But-."

"Keep that mouth shut and walk away, Vasikalis," Aaron chuckles, "I'm sparing you today because it is a beautiful day today," he glances at me from the corner of his eyes.

Elias raises his hands in defeat, "This isn't a good decision, your highness."

"And you aren't exactly a good man, Vasikalis," he laughs, "So leave now."

"We'll meet again, your highness," Elias mutters, "And it won't be a good meeting."

"For you? Definitely." Aaron laughs as he waves goodbye.

"You seem like you're in good spirits," I murmur, narrowing my eyes at him, "It's creeping me out watching you smile so much."

"Well, if you want this arrangement between us to work," he pauses and points to his lips, "You should get used to this dreamy smile of mine."

"Dreamy?" I arch an eyebrow, throwing him a look of disgust, "It is a nightmare."

"So are you," he points a finger at me, "Makes us a perfect match, don't you think?"

"In your worst dreams, your highness," I grumble under my breath before I start walking towards the car.

I feel his arm wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to him. "Don't look so grim when you're with me, love. You're my fiancée now."

"Having a smile on my face when I'm with you is something that doesn't exist in this universe," I grumble, narrowing my eyes at him.

He chuckles. "It better exist now because you have entered my universe and you can't leave it now."

As much as I hate him, I wouldn't want to leave his universe either.