sixteen

ruby athens.

"I don't even know why I'm here but the wine is heavenly," I murmur, taking a sip from the crystal glass.

Aaron had dragged me to his balcony, claiming he had to show me some important. But that something important was just his collection of expensive wine bottles.

"I told you," he snorts, "But I didn't expect you to finish a whole bottle," he murmurs, holding up the empty bottle in his hand.

"So what?" I arch an eyebrow, "You dragged me here. I have all rights to drink this wine as compensation."

"Right," he hums, "I only brought you along because I talk to no one here."

"I know," I lean my jaw on my hand, "Does that mean I'll get paid with wine for being the only person who isn't scared of you?" I muse, "I'll like that."

He joins his hands and leans his jaw on them, "You might be annoying most of the time," he murmurs, "But you're a good drinking partner."

"Oh?" I tilt my head, "So me drinking with you is the only thing you like about me? Is that what you mean?"

"Yes," he nods, "Besides that, you're a nuisance to have around."

I scoff, "You're the bigger nuisance," I narrow my eyes at him, "You made my childhood terrible," I hold back a shiver as I think about the things he made me go through.

"What?" He lets out a scoff, "You pushed me into a big hole in the ground when I was eight."

I gasp, "No! You tripped over a rock and fell."

"The fact that you laughed until your tears came out instead of calling for help did not help," he throws me a glare.

"Those were tears of sadness. I felt bad for you," I fake a frown.

"Right," he rolls his eyes, "You very much enjoyed seeing me suffer in that hole."

"At least I called some guards to get you out," I scoff, "That was so kind of me to do."

"That is what you should've done," he grumbles, "You're acting as if you went out of your way to save me. All you did was stand there."

I gasp, "No. I had to run back to the palace and find guards to help you out. Then I had to run back to you. All that shit took the air out of my lungs."

"Liar," he murmurs, "I heard you scream your lungs out, screaming for help."

"I still saved you," I state, "So you're the damsel in distress and I'm the pr-."

"Prince charming?" He arches an eyebrow, "Ew," he laughs.

"Don't be jealous that I'm more charming and beautiful compared to you," I chuckle, "It's alright, Aaron. Everyone has their flaws," I fake a frown.

He gasps, "I am not jealous!"

"It's fine, Aaron. You don't need to tell me everything. I am very understanding of the less fortunate in looks," I put my hand on my chest.

"Stop talking or I'll throw this bottle of wine on your head," he grumbles, running a hand through his hair.

"Throw it," I scoff, "I'll throw two back on your head."

He scoffs, "Such unlawful behaviour," he narrows his eyes, "I wonder how you haven't been imprisoned yet."

"That is because I have connections," I smile, "So I'll never end up rotting in prison."

"With who?" He arches an eyebrow, "Your family is influential enough to keep you away from there."

"Plus, I know you," I point at him, "Who would arrest the only person the Crown Prince talks to?" I shrug.

He narrows his eyes at me, "You think you're special because I only talk to you?"

"I'm special without that anyway," I shrug.

He looks away, his eyes are focused on the stars and the moon above us.

"Do you want to know a secret, Ruby?" He murmurs but he's not looking at me.

"Yes?" I take a sip from the glass of wine.

"Duke Vasikalis killed his previous fiancé."