fourteen

ruby athens.

"Why are you treating me like a prisoner?" I scoff, glaring at him.

Aaron blinks, "How dare you say that? I'm being so nice by taking care of you!"

"By locking me up in this room?" I scoff, "For God's sake, I only have a cut on my cheek!"

"Fine," he groans, running his hand through his black hair, "Do whatever you want."

"Now, don't you have better things to be doing?" I arch an eyebrow at him, "You're the Crown Prince of this empire. I'm sure you have a busy schedule."

"Yes," he states, "I left it all so I could be here."

I blink, "You left your duties just to be here?"

"Duh," he rolls his eyes, "I can just do the stuff later. They're nothing much."

What a liar. He'd probably have to stay up extremely late in the night to finish everything.

"Lies," I murmur, leaning back on the cushioned headboard, "So when are you going to leave?"

"Now," he glances at the watch on his wrist, "I'm going to take a walk in the palace garden," he stares at me.

"Finally," I smile, relaxing myself on the bed, "I can be at peace now."

Three knocks are heard against my door.

"Ruby, may I come in?"

Aaron scoffs, "There goes your peace," he glances at the door and rolls his eyes.

"Can you close your mouth and leave?" I throw him a glare, "He came to see me and no, he will not ruin my peace."

"Right," he hums, "Enjoy spending time with your little fiancé," he takes a step back and turns around to walk toward the door.

"You're the little one here, Aaron," I state, staring at his back.

"Just by age, love," he turns around, staring at me, "Everything else, I'm not little."

He turns around and opens the door. Elias stares at him and bows as Aaron walks past him.

"Come in, Elias," I gesture to him to walk toward me.

He smiles, nods and closes the door behind him as he walks toward me.

I get up from the bed and walk toward him, smiling back at him.

He holds my hand and pulls me in a hug, wrapping his arms around me, holding me tight.

He kisses my forehead, "I'm sorry. I let all of this happen," he murmurs, frowning down at me.

I chuckle, "It was just a small cut," I point at my cheek, "I'm fine. I even shot the man."

"Oh, right," he nods, "I heard that he got shot but I didn't know it was you who shot him. I thought was the Prince."

"No. It was me," I glance at him, "The Prince gave me the gun. He knew this was going to happen."

"Ah, he is quite smart," he nods before glancing at the cut on my cheek, "How long will it take to disappear? It's ruining your pretty face."

I narrow my eyes, "I'll look quite intimidating, don't you think? I'll like that," I smile, "That'll be quite useful in scaring people away."

"You're intimidating with and without it, sweetheart," he chuckles, "Your presence is solely enough to scare people away."

"How sweet of you to say," I tilt my head, smiling.

"Now, now," he hums, "Should we get out of this room? It feels quite suffocating in here."

I nod, "It is, right? Let's get out of here."

"Of course," he smiles, holding my hand, "Let's go, sweetheart."

He opens the door and we both walk out. I leave his hand and lock my arm with his instead.

"Do you want to take a walk in the garden?" Elias smiles down at me, "My pretty lady deserves to look at the pretty flowers."

"Wow," I grin, "I never knew our Supreme Commander could talk so sweetly. I guess there's a secret side to everyone."

He lowers his head, "I'll show you all my sides, Ruby," he whispers in my ear, pulling his head away with a teasing smile.

I gasp, stare at him with my eyes widened, "Oh my, Elias," I laugh, placing my hand on my heart, "You might get my heart racing marathons if you keep going like this."

"Don't worry, sweetheart," he laughs, "I need you by my side for a long time so we can't let you have heart problems."

"Of course," I nod with a smile, "I'm a very healthy lady, Duke. I'll be living a good, healthy life."

"Definitely," he nods, "And I'll be there to take care of you when you need someone."

"Mhm," I hum, "You better."

"Yes," he smiles reassuringly, "Let me take you to the hidden spot I found recently," he holds my hand and pulls me behind him.

We walk for a few minutes and end up at the back of the palace's garden where there was a huge, open field full of small flowers.

"Welcome!" Elias grins, looking too happy to be here, looking so happy to introduce me to his hidden spot.

And I couldn't bring myself to tell him that this was my hidden spot.

Our hidden spot. Aaron's too. It was where we both ran after each other when we bunked our lessons, running away from our troubles.

"I like it," I smile at him as he pulls me behind him.

"Good," he grins, taking a seat on the meadow, patting the spot next to him, "Sit, sweetheart."

"Or do you want to sit on me instead?" Elias teases, patting his legs.

I roll my eyes at him in amusement, "Please, Elias. Stop getting your hopes so high already," I laugh as I take a seat next to him.

"Aw, my poor heart," he frowns, clutching onto his heart, "You're a very naughty girl, Ruby," he murmurs, "Just how I like it."

I move my face closer to his, "You're a very bad boy, Elias," I tease, "Just my type."

"Pleased to know, sweetheart," he grins, plucking some flowers from the ground.

I watch him turn around, "You can't look!" Elias states, plucking some flowers from the ground.

I smile, knowing exactly what he was making.

So I make one too.

After a while, he turns around, smiling ever so brightly at me.

"For you, my lady," he puts the flower crown he made for me on my neck, staring at me with a smile.

I smile, "Mine's prettier," I tease as I put the flower crown I made for him around his neck.

"Yes, it is," he grins, pulling me closer and kissing my cheek.