nine

ruby athens

A week had passed and today was the day the grand ball was held, in the Royal Ballroom, to formally announce and celebrate our engagement.

"Hello, my beautiful fiancée."

I turn around with a small smile and my eyes land on Elias. He was adorned in a dark grey suit touched with a red tie. He has some badges and ties dangling from his chest pocket- a symbol of his noble and military status.

"I really got lucky, didn't I?" Elias smiles, placing his hand on my cheek as he takes a look at my face and my dress.

His red tie matched with my red, silky corset gown, paired with my red Louboutins. My neck was adorned with a diamond and ruby necklace, matching my earrings and bracelets.

"Yes, you did," I nod, watching him lift my hand and place a kiss on the back of my hand.

He was too sweet for me but he was better than every man that proposed to me.

Elias smiles, staring into my eyes, "Are you ready, sweetheart?" He holds my hand as he glances at the doors we would go through to enter the hall where everyone would be waiting for us.

"Of course," I smile, nodding my head.

His smile widens and his grip on my hand tightens as the guards open the grand doors.

The lights fall on us and we walk inside, standing right in front of the marble staircase which led to the marble floor where everyone was standing, staring right through our souls.

"His Grace, Duke Vasikalis and Lady Ruby of Athens!"

The crowd continues staring at us as we walk down the marble staircase.

At this point, I don't know how to look back at them
because all my life I've been glaring at them, never smiling.

"Don't smile at them," Elias whispers, "They don't deserve your beautiful smile, sweetheart. Just glare at them as usual."

I smile, a small genuine smile.

For the first time in my life, a man didn't expect me to smile. All my life, I was told to smile to flatter people but this time I wasn't expected.

"Keep that smile of yours a secret," he smiles, "Not everyone is worthy enough to see that beautiful smile," he brushes his fingers through my hair.

Elias leaves my hand as I lock my arm with his. Now, we had to walk to the throne to get the Emperor's blessing. That was the tradition for the higher-up nobles.

We're walking up the stairs towards the throne but I could only see the Emperor. He-Aaron- was nowhere to be seen.

Now, we're standing in front of the Emperor and he's smiling at us.

"What a beautiful couple," he smiles, watching us bow at him.

"Thank you, your majesty," we both smile back at him.

"I wish you two nothing but happiness in this new beginning of joining hands," he smiles, tapping his sword on both of our shoulders before keeping it aside.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let us welcome our newest pair in this Empire with great joy!" The Emperor raises his glass of wine and so does everyone.

The cheers disappear and soon the music starts. It was time to move around, it was time to waltz.

Since this ball was hosted to celebrate us, Elias and I are the ones in the middle.

"Give me your best moves, sweetheart," he teases as he wraps his arm around my waist.