twenty seven

ruby athens

"I told you that you were the perfect bride for the Prince," my father smiles proudly, "No one could have taken your position. Vasikalis was nothing compared to the Prince. I'm pleased that you got your engagement annulled."

I stare at him in boredom. This must be the only thing he's proud of me achieving: securing a marriage with the crown prince. Well, he has wanted this ever since I was a child.

I know that my father was only fond of me because I was perfect at everything I did. I was almost like a trophy to him which he would show to every other noble.

"I'm still going to see the Duke around," I murmur, "It's going to be quite awkward."

"Are you sure about that?" he seems amused. " You'll be fine since the Prince will always stay with you. You are his fiancée now. Even before that, you two were always around each other."

I stare at him in suspicion. I knew what he was hinting: that we were fated to be together.

"I can handle the Duke on my own, father," I sigh. "It's just that I can't stand to see him."

"Just pretend you don't know him, Ruby. He'll be gone in a few weeks or so anyway," he shrugs.

"Oh?" I arch an eyebrow.

"I'm pretty sure you've heard about the Asturians wanting to begin a war against us. Naturally, the supreme commander will be needed," he glances at me, "so he'll be out of your sight."

"That's good to hear..." I mutter, "but the war bit isn't so good to hear."

"The Emperor and the Prince are trying their best to stop this war from happening. You should be focused on the preparations of the engagement celebration. It's in two days," he smiles, pats my shoulder and gets out of the car.

I step out of the car and walk towards the entrance of the palace. The guards open the doors for me. They looked more scared of me than usual. This must mean that everyone on the palace grounds must know that I'm betrothed to the Prince. I'm pretty sure this news has reached the Capital too.

Today, I'm supposed to discuss some matters regarding the engagement celebration with Aaron. This was apparently going to take the whole day, according to him. I found that hard to believe.

The guards open the doors to Aaron's office right away even though I'm steps away from the entrance. I walk in and the doors are immediately shut.

The cool air in the huge office hits my skin. I'm always struck with awe every time I enter his office. Firstly, his office was consisted of three damn floors. The upper floors only had shelves full of books and documents.

"Ruby," he looks away from the papers on his desk and stares at me. He stands up and walks towards me. "You're early. That's a first," he nearly cracks a smile.

"You seemed very excited to see me when you demanded to see me today morning," I force a smile, "Hence, here I am, your highness," I bow my head.

He frowns. "You don't have to be formal with me, even when there's people around us, you're my fiancée now."

"It's the law," I arch an eyebrow.