twenty two

aaron roman-selene

Ruby was in my arms. Unconscious. Slowly breathing.

It was a blessing from the heavens that she did not have not even one scratch on her body. When I ran to get her, she was sleeping on the bench. Well, I think she fainted.

She had a fever. I told her to go back. But she didn't.

In the end, it was all my fault. I was the one who dragged her along. It was all because of me that she nearly ended up getting hurt.

I hated myself for dragging her along with me every time. I tried to keep myself away from her for as long as possible.

But we always ended up colliding.

We were like fire and water. Two completely different elements but end up colliding in the end.

I see the knights rushing up to me to check up on me. They try to take Ruby out of my arms but I refuse to let any of them touch her.

"Your Highness, the doctor is right upstairs. Take her there," the chief stands in front of me, "Third floor."

I nod before walking to the elevator. I look around as I walk towards it, noticing that Vasikalis wasn't even here.

What a fucking bastard. He didn't even give a fuck about his fiancé. The same girl whose father he had begged, forcing him to give his daughter's hand in marriage to him before she even met him.

There was only one thing I wished for: to get rid of Elias Vasikalis.

The doors close and within seconds, we reach the third floor. I quickly walk out and head towards the medical room which was right in front of me.

The doctor gawks at me as I kick open the doors. She doesn't say a word and gestures for me to place the girl in my arms on the bed. I do as she says.

She checks her temperature and shakes her head before injecting something into her veins. I stay silent throughout the whole process and hold onto Ruby's hand.

"Forty-one degrees," she mutters, "A terrible fever she has, your highness," she frowns at me.

"I need her to get better than ever," I look at her, "Do anything you can to make her feel better." I was pleading with my eyes.

I never pleaded for anything. Never begged anyone.

But for her? I'd give up my throne in exchange for her life.

Why? Because she breathed life into me.

I didn't even know what feeling this was. I never believed I held any love for her. Love was a feeling that would eventually fade away but this feeling that I had for her only grew day by day.

"Don't worry, your highness," she throws me a small smile, "I've injected a drug into her body which should relieve her pain and fever."

"How long will it take for her to wake up?" I frown.

She looks at me, "I'd say between an hour or two," she murmurs, "But she needs a lot of rest so maybe a couple of hours, your highness."

I nod and take a seat next to her.

The doctor throws me a small smile, "I'll be right back, your highness," she murmurs before walking out.

I lean back on the chair and stare at her face. The face of the diamond of the empire.

She was called the diamond of the empire and no one could ever take that title away from her. And that was a fact.

I remember, ever since we met, as children, we were told to depend on each other. To always be on each other's side. That we would always end up colliding.

And we always did.

The Emperor, my beloved father, always told me that Ruby Athens was the perfect lady to be my wife. To be the future Empress.

Ruby Athens was perfect in every way possible. Her official debut as a debutant was remarkable. She danced with more men than I could count. She was wanted by everybody but no one could have her.

But I always denied my father's words. I hated Ruby for the way she made me feel. I hated how I always wanted to be near her.

But it was probably because she was the only person I was comfortable around.

A couple of minutes pass by as I continue staring her face. I see her fingers twitch and I lean forward towards her.

My heart drops as I see her open her eyes slowly. She looks at me and throws me the smallest smile.

"Aaron," she whispers my name and my heart almost flutters.

"Yes, I'm here, my love," I hold onto her hand, "Do you need anything? Are you having a headache? Tell me, love."

"I feel so much better than this morning," she murmurs, trying to sit up and I help her.

I nod slowly at her words as I continue staring at her.

"Can you do me a favour?" She stares at me.

I'll do anything for you.

I wanted to say that but I couldn't.

"What is it?" I arch an eyebrow.

"Annul my engagement with the Duke."