thirteen

ruby athens.

Vicente drags me into a chamber not too far from the Throne Hall. He knew this palace too well, he came prepared for this.

He locks the doors and walks towards me before he pushes me against the wall.

"Such a beautiful lady you are," he whispers, "No wonder you're proclaimed as the diamond of their empire. How about you marry me?"

I stare at him, watching him cunningly smile at me.

I smile back at him and he grins as I touch his cheek with my palm.

"Seems like you already like me," he grins at me.

And then I slap him hard on his cheek.

He takes a step back, groaning in pain as he holds his cheek, rubbing it to soothe the pain.

"Bitch," he hisses, "Did you forget that you're trapped in here with me?" Vicente removes his knife from the pocket, holding it in front of me.

I let out a laugh, tilting my head, "Me? Trapped? You fucking bastard, you're in our empire and you think I'm trapped?"

I take a step forward, "The moment you step outside, you'll be dead as your dead father."

He hisses, "Don't talk about him."

"Why not? Wasn't he the one who killed innocent civilians?" I arch an eyebrow, "He deserved it."

"You bitch!" Vicente screeches, marching towards me, pinning me to the wall.

"You want to know a fun fact?" I smile, "My fiancé was the one who killed him. I'm quite proud of him."

"Die," he is about to dig the knife in my stomach and that's when I shoot him in the leg.

He falls to the ground, groaning in pain.

I shoot his other leg as well.

I smile as I bend down to look at him, "So who's the one trapped here now?"

"What are you?" Vicente whimpers, staring at me with teary eyes.

"Ruby Athens. The diamond of the Selene Empire," I continue smiling.

"But you," I glance at him, "You are now the traitor of this empire. Forever."

I hear the doors open and I look up.

"I'm so sorry for being late, love. Are you alright?"

Aaron is standing right in front of me, he offers me his hand and I hold it before he pulls me up.

He stares at my bleeding cheek before clenching his jaw. He stares at Vicente laying on the ground before he picks up the knife and cuts both of Vicente's cheeks, making them bleed.

"Aaron," I murmur, "That was not needed. I already shot him twice," I point at his legs.

"So?" He arches an eyebrow, "He deserves way worse."

He waves his hand and two knights walk in, picking up the man from the floor and will most likely take him to prison alongside his other men.

Aaron wraps his hand around my wrist, "We need to get your cut cleaned."

He drags me behind him and I follow without saying a word. We walk out of the room and I hear a familiar voice.

"Ruby! Are you alright?" I look up to see Elias walking toward me with a worried look plastered on his face.

"I don't have time for your melodrama," Aaron hisses, "Move," he pushes Elias out of his way yet I stay silent.

I throw Elias a tight-lipped smile as I walk past him. I think I just wasn't willing to talk to anyone right now.

Aaron kicks open some door and looks around, "Where is the Royal Doctor?" He shouts and some man immediately runs towards him.

"Here, your highness," the man bows before looking at us.

"Clean her cut," he points at me before pulling me in front, "I want that cut healed as soon as possible."

"Yes, your highness," he bows again and gestures for me to come forward. He makes me sit on the bed while he digs for some stuff in the cupboard next to this.

Aaron is leaning on the wall, arms crossed as he stares at his every move.

The doctor wipes the blood off my face first, cleans my cut and then applies some ointment. I let out a hiss due to the intensity of the burn I felt on my cheek. My face was the most sensitive.

"Ruby," Aaron takes a step forward, staring at me in worry, "Does it hurt a lot?" He's frowning at me.

"Do you want me to cut your cheek?" I arch an eyebrow, "Then you can feel my pain."

He stares at me for a few seconds before letting out a loud laugh.

I arch an eyebrow, "I was not joking, Prince," I state firmly.

"Liar," he hums, leaning back on the wall.

"Done," the doctor smiles, "You'll need to come here for a few days so I can check up on the cut and apply the ointment."

"For how many days?" I ask, "Is the cut that deep?"

"Maybe a week or two until it completely disappears," he states, "Quite deep, Lady Athens," he nods, "I'm surprised how well you've handled the pain."

"Stay at the palace for a week or two," Aaron stares at me.

I widen my eyes, "No."

Aaron narrows his eyes at me, "It's an official command."

I gasp, "You can't do that."

"Yes, I can, love," he smiles.

"Fine," I sigh, "Just a week."

"Two," he corrects.

"No," I glare at him.

"It's a command, love," he smiles.

"I hate you," I murmur under my breath.

"I hate you too, love," he smiles, tilting his head.

But now that I think about it, after everything that had happened today, I don't hate him that much.