nineteen

ruby athens.

I blink, processing his words, "Oh? I thought that wouldn't begin until he became crowned the Emperor."

He shrugs, "Yes, I thought that too, but it's just a search. The process may take weeks, months even, to find the perfect bride. She has to be more than perfect."

I chuckle, "Finding a perfect bride isn't difficult. The real problem is finding someone who he likes."

"The marriage isn't based on love, it's based on convenience," he shrugs, "It's not like the Prince even likes anyone. He hates everyone."

"I wonder who can stand up to him," I rest my jaw on my hand and smile to myself, knowing I was the only one after all these years who could talk to Aaron in a way no one can.

"You two do realise it's unlawful to gossip about your Crown Prince like that."

I slowly look up at him while Elias stands up and bows to him.

"Your highness, it's simply stating facts," I tilt my head at him, throwing him a small smile.

"You told her about it?" Aaron narrows his eyes at Elias, clenching his jaw, "You were clearly told not to, Duke Vasikalis."

Elias bows his head, "I deeply apologise, your highness, but it is just Ruby. She is closer to the royal family than anyone. She was bound to know."

I nod, "It is not his fault. I forced him to tell him," I stare at Aaron, "And he's right. It's just me," I shrug, "I can help you choose the right lady for you."

Aaron frowns, "Right lady? Enough of that nonsense. I don't even want to choose anyone," he throws a look of disgust at me, "I am honestly going to rip that list," he mutters under his breath before walking away from us.

"What list is he talking about?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as I look at Elias.

"The Emperor gave him a list of all the noble ladies. The Prince then had to choose a few candidates to meet," Elias states and I nod slowly.

I let out a laugh, "I can understand his frustration. I used to get those lists too," I shake my head with a smile.

"But, you know, Ruby," Elias looks straight into my eyes.

"Yes?" I arch an eyebrow.

"Your name is on that list too," he states, "Right at the top. The first name on that list is yours."

"Oh?" I blink, "But I'm engaged?"

He chuckles, nodding his head, "But you are not officially married yet which means you are still eligible."

I shake my head, "Never," I murmur under my breath.

"I guess I'll have to marry you sooner to take your name off that list," Elias lets out a laugh, smiling at me but I stay quiet. I wasn't even prepared to marry him soon.

"That won't be needed," I dismissively wave my hand at him, "I'm pretty sure there are many others he can choose."

"Ruby!"

Talking about the devil.

"God," I let out a groan as I hear Aaron shout my name. I turn around and I see him waving at me, gesturing me to walk towards him.

"Well, that's your call," Elias chuckles, "I guess he needs your help to choose some candidates," he glances at me, "You should go to him. I'll go and look over my knights."

I nod, "You're right. He does need my help, as always," I scoff.

He smiles at me before kissing my cheek, "I'll see you later, sweetheart," he murmurs before walking away from me.