𝐓𝐰𝐨.

You woke up a little later than intended.

Your eyes were heavy as a long yawn was pulled from your body. You stretched, a calm sensation washing over you as you realized that had been, without a doubt, one of the best sleeps you've had since you were a child. Perhaps it may not have been the best to some of the richer folks out there, but to you it was absolutely splendid.

Heaving another yawn, you slid out from beneath the covers, the bed squeaking on its springs as your weight left it. Your bare feet slapped against the wooden floor; the chilled air ran through you, making you shiver. Though that was to be expected — it was nearing the end of autumn and winter would soon roll in with its unforgiving winds and frosty weather nipping at whatever was exposed to its vicious teeth. However, this year you would be prepared. The apartment came with a fireplace along with a small stock of chopped firewood. Now it would most certainly not be enough to last the whole frigid season, but it was a start!

The woods were just nearby as well, meaning you could very easily get yourself an axe and head out to chop some wood. And maybe, with some luck, you could get a little bit of help from a friend! If you ever made one...

Which reminded you.

Scampering into the kitchen, you wired up the radio to one of the two outlets you had in the room and switched to the station that Alastor had written on his letter the day prior. The sound was garbled and screened with a heavy static, making whatever speech behind it practically inaudible, the only thing even managing to slightly get past the haze being the occasional laugh track. But soon, with enough twisting and turning of the two knobs near the base of your gift, it reached a point where you could hear the host as clear as a sunny winter's day.

"...ut enough of all that nonsense, folks! It's just the beginning of the day, and I don't want to ruin it just yet!" A flurry of laughs erupted after the man had said those words, your eyes shining and hands clutching the radio as you listened. So this was Alastor's job? He sounded amazing with that upbeat tone in his voice and happy demeanor — he was practically cut out for this career!

"Now, for all you new folks tuning in, I have quite the news for you!" The man you had met on the train yesterday chuckled, only a light fog lingering over his words. "I received news that this year's holiday festival is going to be quite a big one! Parades, shows, lights, you name it! Maybe even some hot chocolate and mistletoe for all you couples out there," his tone dropped to something a little more suggestive, yet still playful, on those last couple of words, earning a quiet giggle from you.

You could see why he was popular; he really was soft on the ears when listening to and there was always a smile that could be heard behind his tone. It made you feel safe... From what? You didn't know.

Sighing contently, you ate some buttered bread and jam before heading back to your room to take a shower and prepare yourself for the day. Fortunately for you, this place was equipped with heating, though you would need to find a job very soon if you wanted to keep that luxury.

The warm water rolled down your tender skin, feeling as if the gods themselves had blessed you. It had only been a day and you were already in love with your new life. Steamy showers, a more-or-less comfortable bed, a kitchen to cook breakfast in, that lovely radio Alastor had so generously gifted to you. This was bliss!

Scrubbing yourself thoroughly with some bar soap, you soon finished your shower and stepped out, small rivulets of water running along your body before they were dried away with a white towel. You slipped yourself into the only other dress you had and brushed your hair out, humming a sugar sweet melody to yourself while jazz sounded from the kitchen just down the hall.

Bag strapped over your shoulder and radio unplugged to save on the electric bill, you took a glance at the apartment once more before you stepped out of the small area and into the stairwell of the establishment — not without locking your door, of course! Your footsteps echoed like the voices of lost children in the woods; eerily unsettling. It was so empty where you lived, you highly doubted there were more than two other people living in the same building as you! But that was fine. You'd make your friends elsewhere.