𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐎𝐧𝐞.

Alastor sat down next to you on the couch, his eyes remaining on the storm outside as he spoke, "I've been doing somewhat better...not needing to claw at the inside of my skull just to remember what your voice sounded like." He laughed, running a hand through his hair. "But it was definitely something to adjust to — not having you by my side, I mean." Your face fell to an even deeper frown, the stag's gaze flickering towards you for a moment. "I know that's odd, given the fact that we had only known each other a couple of months in life, but you truly meant a lot to me. Far more than I had anticipated."

Hesitantly, he reached a hand to you and rubbed your shoulder, your tear ducts filling up once more. "And," Alastor chuckled, "I apologize for snapping at you during the meeting. I just couldn't bring myself to believe that it was true. What were the odds, right?" The weakest of smiles appeared upon your lips, Alastor subconsciously scooting closer to you and wrapping his arm around your shoulders. "I'm also sorry about the whole wings situation. I shouldn't have been greedy."

"You always have been," you giggled and looked up at the man, wiping the single tear from your eye as Alastor's brows knitted together, his smile soft and genuine. "How could I not have been when I had such a beautiful woman to confide in?" He gave a hazy chuckle, his hand moving from your shoulders to rest by his side. "That halo looks beautiful, by the way. Though, I cannot deny, I'm surprised you made it up there after...you know." Alastor twirled his wrist to emphasize what he meant. You nodded in understanding.

"I was as well, but Gabriel told me I deserved a second chance. What I did wasn't my fault." The sinner's lips drew back in smiley snarl at the mention of the Archangel's name. "Bah, if you asked me, I would say he ruined things; keeping us apart like this." You shifted in your seat in a little, looking away from the stag with a small frown. "I don't think so. I...shot myself to get away from you."
"And yet, you still couldn't stop thinking about me," he cooed and tilted your chin towards him so he could be sure of grasping your complete attention.

"You know we belong with each other, despite everything, my darling." He quickly released you, moving his arm to your shoulders once more. You remained silent for a moment, your next words leaving your lips just above a whisper. "So why did you do it?" He froze, turning his red gaze towards you. There was a moment as he thought about his words, his smile remaining while he rubbed his chin with his free hand. "Darling, although one may think the mind is their greatest strength, with just a few words it can very easily become their greatest weakness."

You looked at Alastor with befuddlement scrawled across your features like the words of an opened book. "What I'm saying is that it's horribly easy to puppeteer the thoughts of one's feeble mentality. Alter realities into something they can be absolutely terrified of." He gave your shoulders a squeeze, his grin malicious and eyes narrowed as he continued.

"There are people who fear the mind and what it might create. They fear what nightmarish things they may think of when they close their eyes. They fear what's lost to them. They fear what horrible creatures the mind could conjure up. Or what creatures already dwell within it," Alastor explained nonchalantly.

"If you know what they fear, you can mold and shape those beasts into something that they will cower at to the point that they will be at that thing's complete mercy. That, my dear, that is true control. True power. It can make you feel so superior to them without needing a higher rank in society. An easy way of respect."

Alastor chuckled; the soft sigh that followed being drowned by that hazy static in his voice. "Though on Earth I had to be far more subtle about it to achieve what I wanted without getting caught, but it was exactly the same method, my love! It just took a little time to master on my own."
"Wow," you breathed, the sinner's chin resting on your head while he hummed contently. "That all means nothing now, (Y/n). We're finally reunited."