𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐎𝐧𝐞.

Smut warning!!

———

The forest was cool, protected from the searing heats of the Pentagram that sealed the frontier between Heaven and this sorrowful pit of inferno. Dragonflies hummed by your face and settled in the pond reeds near the small stream that trickled between the stones. Critters such as squirrels and chipmunks of the like scurried up the trunks of aged, withered trees and hopped from branch to branch while chittering amongst themselves in that excited tone of theirs.

Alastor's ears twitched and swiveled whenever a branch snapped or the bushes rustled, eyes expertly darting around the maze of nature's colossal life. His hand was gripped firmly in yours and his legs moved at a quick pace, your smaller ones struggling a little to keep up with his smooth strides. Bugs of all hellish sorts whispered melodies of wonder to one another, creating a gentle background noise for your mind to subconsciously pick up on and listen to.

"Anything special planned?" you questioned curiously. The dried leaves crunched satisfyingly beneath your feet. Alastor shook his head. "I was thinking about catching myself some breakfast, but I don't think that's something you'd like to see this early in the morning." A confusion swallowed your face like one large parasite, donning a wider grin upon Alastor's face.

"Catching yourself breakfast?" you repeated softly. The stag nodded. "I've been on a bit of a strict diet since I fell. Hunting has become my main source of food, it's the only thing that will satiate my hunger. Anything other than game will leave me salivating and needy for more," he explained nonchalantly. A cuckoo called in the distance.

"Well, if you're hungry, you can go hunting. I don't mind. I mean," you gave a small chuckle, "I've seen you eat a man in front of my eyes." Alastor smiled and lifted your hand to his lips, bestowing a soft-hearted kiss upon your knuckles. "Thank you, my love. The stags' rutting seasons are a little oddly timed down here," he completely switched the subject, another new look of perplexity overhauling your features. "What the hell does that have to do with anything!?" you yelped, not exactly sure if you wanted to hear about this.

Alastor dismissed your question with a wave of his wrist. "In fact, they aren't timed at all. Unlike on Earth, where most does go into heat and bucks into rut during autumn, the deer down here can have rut cycles whenever it decides to come on. This leads to a few issues with males trying to breed with females of which are not fertile and such, but that's beside the point." A pause. "There have been occasions where I end up tracking a stag that is during its season, and, let me tell you, they are highly aggressive creatures when you interfere with them at that time," he warned.

"Came out with a few broken ribs once. So that's why I want you to stay back and let me handle it, alright?" Alastor cupped your cheeks and pecked your nose, his smile warm like the sun would be on a summer day back on Earth. "You've broken your ribs!?" Alarm suddenly grasped your shoulders and shook you around, worry swimming in your stomach like a prowling eel. "Pfft, only a time or two... or four." A harsh whack was delivered to his arm to which he recoiled, glaring at you.

"I'm joking! It was only once. I've learnt my lesson."

His head raised, one of his ears rotating backwards like a radar and causing you to muffle a laugh with your hands. Alastor turned in the direction his ear had pointed him to, taking a moment with narrowed eyes. "Found one," he deadpanned. You jumped at his flat statement, "What? How?" No response. He simply threw his coat, bowtie, and dress shirt off and into your arms, his shoes being removed and set to the side, freeing his hooves. With that, he bounded off into the forest in pursuit of his game.

Heaving a sigh, you followed a little more slowly, aware of how silent you were going to need to be if you didn't want to scare off his catch. The bushes were thick here and it was hard to move, but just off in the distance, you could see a tall, pasty red buck with white antlers grazing in the small grove, your heart immediately melting like chocolate that had been left in the car during summer.