𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞.

The next morning, you slowly woke yourself to the feeling of restraints keeping you held to a warm pillow, the cushion rising and falling as it breathed — inhale and exhale, inhale and exhale... Hold on. Your tired gaze sluggishly moved to look at what was holding you captive, eyes widening at the sight of a pair of arms wrapped snug around your waist. A yelp of surprise was suppressed as you allowed the memories from the previous night to sink in.

That's right, I came here after having nightmares of... your mind trailed off like a child wandering astray from its mother in the store, wanting to keep as far away from those thoughts as possible. It didn't matter, the warmth was nice as your eyes closed and the thought of maybe slipping in another few minutes of sleep in Alastor's arms relaxed your muscles.

He groaned, drowsy and filled with a heavy fatigue. His hold on you coiled a little tighter — only for a second — before it loosened once again. "Hmm, are you up, my dear?" your friend drawled quietly, his voice an octave lower than it would have usually been, a light rasp lingering behind his words. It was rather attractive. Perhaps just a little more, you thought to yourself, wishing to bask in his warmth for just a few moments longer. So, you said nothing, simply shuffling a little closer to his body.

The warm breathing that tickled the back of your neck caused your hairs raise, his broad chest rising and falling with each breath he took. The lightest of chuckles sounded from him, still dripping with lingering exhaustion. "Darling, I know you're awake. Come on," he cooed next to you, a shiver snaking its way down your spine at the sensation of his breath against your ear. You said nothing, but your thoughts did. This is weird. Move it. He'll get mad.

"Fine," you mumbled and slithered out of his hold with a weak frown. Alastor's smile growing as he lifted from where he had been laying, his auburn hair was disheveled from a night of sleep. "Were you comfortable?" the man teased with a grin. Turning to face him you stuck your tongue out childishly. "Definitely not."

He smiled.

"You're a terrible liar, my darling."

With an eye roll, you left his room and headed for your own, allowing yourself to get ready for the long day ahead. Whatever warmth that you once held within your body was now gone with the absence of Alastor against you, but it wasn't anything a nice shower couldn't fix. Your legs felt heavy as you hauled yourself into your bathroom and began running the shower, the icy cold air wriggling along your body as you removed your nightwear.

Breakfast could be smelled sizzling in the kitchen the minute you reached the first floor, your nose taking in the mouth-watering aroma as if it were treasure in the hands of a pirate from those children's stories. "Something smells good," you giggled as you entered the room Alastor was cooking in, his gaze flicking to you. "Have a nice shower?" he grinned and moved the pan off the fire, beginning to scrape the scrambled eggs onto two plates. "Yeah. Thanks for letting me stay, Al," you sighed and rubbed your hands along your arms.

"It's not a problem. Bad dreams happen to all of us, and sometimes it's better to have someone next to you, helping you through the night," he chuckled. "My mother was always there for me when I was younger. Seeing you so shaken up last night must have brought those memories back." A comfortable silence settled between the both of you, your head resting against Alastor's shoulder.

-

Horses scampered down the roads with carriages trailing behind them, the lampposts decorated with wreaths and mistletoe as the candles burned away within their glass casings. Children ran about throwing snowballs while the adults smoked on benches, chatting about the daily paper and Christmas plans. Alastor had nearly stepped on a pair of young twins running around with candy canes in their hands, their joyful giggles making your heart warm.