𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

He couldn't say anything. He couldn't move. He couldn't even seem to be able to breathe as fresh, crimson essence dripped from his jaws and onto the corpse beneath him. Why were you still here? Why didn't you go home? Why did it have to be you? His chest felt far too tight for his lungs, heart causing his torso to vibrate from how violently it was pumping. Blood pounded in his ears. This wasn't how he imagined this going. It was inevitable, of course it was, but...not like this. Not when he was drenched head to toe in the blood of some criminal.

Scraping together what little strength was left in his tired bones, he lifted from his hunched position and stood upright, fists clenched tightly at his side. Fetch the contract from Damien's lounge, he ordered his friend.

But, Alastor-

Now.

Not another word was shared between the two before Zandor slithered away, only leaving you and Alastor in his wake. His breath was hot, a cloud of steam shaping by his chapped lips with each exhale. What was he going to tell you? Suppose there was nothing to be told. You saw it happen, had a front row seat even. His lungs achingly filled with the biting air of winter as he turned to face you, the mask upon his face hiding nothing from you. He swallowed thickly.

You looked absolutely horrified. Your mouth was agape and tears were beginning to gloss your beautiful eyes over. Please don't cry. I can't bear to see you cry. "Alastor...what are you..." you couldn't even finish your sentence. Your voice trembled harshly. You just couldn't wrap your head around what was happening. "My darling," he started, but before managing another vowel, you spun on your heel and took off in the direction of the woods. A horrible, twisted smile stretched onto his face as he saw you run. A smile.

Why was he smiling?

He muffled a laugh into his bloodied, gloved hand. Because this was the fun part. The part where the predator uses its wit and skill to win. This was the hunt. His tongue swiped over his top set of teeth, eyes narrowing maliciously. Shadows began to bubble by his side, each one growling and snapping their crooked jaws. "After her. I want her back to me alive," he snarled. Their strange, slitted eyes being enclosed sideways by a thin eyelid in an owlish blink, another guttural growl sounding from their chests as they shot away from him and towards the woods where you had gone.

"This is it." The prince manifested by his side and handed him a folded piece of paper, Alastor hastily reading over the terms and conditions and then glancing at your signature.

"Burn it."

Zandor nodded and held a thumb beneath the paper, a blue flame sparking to life and swallowing the deal in its heat. He dropped it to the snow with a frown on his lips. "We'll meet her at home." His friend stared off in the direction you had disappeared in, looking rather unsure. "The other Loa have not been out for such a long time, Alastor. Are you sure this is a good idea?" The brunette turned his fiery amber gaze to the figure of shadow. "Then go and lead them like you were meant to, Prince Zandor." A look of pride crossed his companion's face before he gave him a salute and fled off into the darkness, a new storm beginning to brew in the sky as clouds drifted over the moon and snow began floating from the welkin.

"You can't run from me, little doe. A hunter needs its prey, after all."

-

You huffed and wheezed, unsure of where exactly you were running. The forest was covered in snow and frost and there was nothing to act as your source of light. Hissing and the snapping of branches could be heard from behind you, but you refused to catch a glance at what was pursuing you. No matter what you do, don't look back. Don't look back. Don't look back.