rhaenyra I

Princess Rhaenyra sat at her table, watching her sons as they got ready for their training. She made sure to dress them in the Targaryen colors of black and red. She wanted to show everyone that she is a Targaryen, unlike some. She laughed under her breath as her youngest, Lucerys, poked his older brother, Jacaerys, in the side only to act like he didn't do it. Jace retaliated and Rhaenyra knew she had to step in before it got too out of hand.

"Let's save it for training, my loves," Rhaenyra told her sons.

Jace and Luke both nodded in agreement and made their way over to the door. Rhaenyra huffed and stood, "Aren't you forgetting something?"

Jace groaned as he walked to his mother, "Mother! We are almost grown!"

Luke happily accepted his mother's hug and kiss goodbye. Rhaenyra ruffled his curly hair and turned to Jace, "You are not even ten, my son. Hardly grown at all, I'd say."

Jace scowled in annoyance, but the blush that came to his cheeks after she gave him his kiss and hug betrayed his true emotions. They walked back over to the door, and Rhaenyra called behind them, "Be careful! Do not let him bully you."

The door opened and almost hit Jace. Laenor looked horrified for a second before a grin to his face, "Jace, my boy! I apologize, I didn't know you'd be there."

Jace smiled brightly at his father and Laenor ruffled his hair before doing the same to Luke, "Of to training, then?"

Luke nodded, "Yes! This time, we'll win!"

He pumped out a fist to drive his point home. It gained fond smiles from his parents. Laenor bid his sons goodbyes and good luck as they left for training. Rhaenyra watched them go with the usual bundle of nerves present in her stomach. Laenor noticed, "They'll be fine, Nyra."

Rhaenyra scowled, "You know how he is with them."

Laenor sighed and moved behind his wife to rest his hands on her shoulders, "I know."
She reached up to grab his hand as it rested on her shoulder, "I want him far from our boys, Laenor. I hate that he is so close to them. I hate that she is."

Laenor sighed and moved to take the seat in front of her, "We can't just remove him."

Rhaenyra let herself imagine him begging for mercy. She hasn't decided yet if she would grant him the mercy he refuses to show her sons. Rhaenrya glared at the wood of her table, "Yes, I know that, Laenor. Alicent has her claws far too deep for us to do anything. I know."

Laenor chewed at his lip in concentration, "Alright. I'll take over, then."

Rhaenyra's head snapped to her husband's, "What?"

He chuckled, "I'll start teaching the boys sword lessons. I need to spend more time with them, anyway."

Rhaenyra felt her heart clench for her husband. She knew he always felt bad about what he was. She could never find it in herself to feel the same. She loved Laenor with all her heart.
She leaned forward to grasp her husband's hand, "Are you certain?"

He squeezed her hand, "Yes. I want to know my sons better."

They shared a smile before he muttered a quick, "Oh!"

He reached into his pocket, pulling out a roll of parchment, "This came for you. I was told to give it directly to you."

Daemon, her head shouted. She pushed it away. If Daemon or Laena wanted to talk to her, all they had to do was visit. It had not been long since they last saw each other anyway. Rhaenyra's heart clenched at the thought of her uncle. Oh, how she missed him.

She took the roll from him, searching for a sigil. A yellow haystack. There was a light pink ribbon tying it together. She looked at Laenor, "Haystack Hall? Have you read it?"