aurora IX

She stood in front of the mirror in the cabin Corlys had given her during their voyage. She had brushed her hair over and over again to the point where it hurt. She wanted it to not look like a bird's nest when she met her family. A maid on the ship had kindly helped her put her hair into a low bun. Aurora didn't like it; it was heavy. She ran her hands over her outfit, Corlys' clothes, before taking one last deep breath, telling herself it would all be okay. They won't send her back. She was safe now.

She walked onto the deck, keeping her head low as she passed by some of the crewmates. They were nice. Some didn't stare. Some did. Aurora didn't mind the stares, she knew it would happen. She was just glad no one was openly cruel or accusing of her. It must've been quite a shock to people to see someone like her. She stayed inside during their voyage to ensure she didn't cause a ruckus. Corlys had tried to get her out, but she declined.

She was so excited to see the world that she didn't realize just how overwhelming it would be. She was comfortable in her small space. The big space, weirdly enough, made her feel suffocated. She was too small. In her tower, she was big. In the real world, she was small. It was a change that was hard to wrap her head around. So, she stayed inside. It made her feel less panicky. Corlys spent his free time with her once she had managed to get her thoughts together enough to explain her confused feelings. He didn't question them, just stayed with her.

There was talking from the shore. Corlys, she recognized. She thinks the other voice might've been Rhaenys. Aurora walked to the edge of the higher end of the ship, stepping onto a crate to view over the ledge. There were more people than Aurora realized would be there. A quick headcount told her there were nine people there.

Her eyes met the bright purple gaze of a woman with white hair. It wasn't the woman from her vision, but she knew this was Rhaenyra. Aurora jumped from her crate, only almost falling flat on her face. She was shaking with excitement as she made her way over to the ramp to finally go to her family.

She was mid run down the ramp when Corlys stopped her with a hand, "Careful, little dragon, we don't want you hurt before you even get to them."

She skid to a halt, throwing her arms out to keep her balance. That would not be a good first impression. She took Corlys' hand and let him lead her down the ramp safely. She stopped at the very end of it, noting it would be her first time touching land other than wood of a ship or stone of her room. The thought was long forgotten when she looked up, though.

Rhaenyra was staring at her with wide eyes. Aurora stared back, her gaze equally as wide. She's pretty, the voice in her head said. She agreed with it. Aurora's bad thoughts quickly took over. What if she's staring because she realized how terrible she is? What if she regrets this? What if she sends me back? What if she doesn't like me? What if-

Rhaenyra took a tiny step forward. It was all Aurora needed to make every single bad thought vanish. She didn't allow herself to think twice as she sprinted across the sand to get to her cousin.

She threw her entire body weight into the older woman, sagging with relief as arms came up to hold her just as tight the second they touched. Rhaenyra pulled her closer, resting her head against Aurora's. Rhaenyra felt like home.

The moment they parted from each other, she was yanked into someone else's arms. This person was her height and had white hair. Helaena. She held onto the girl tighter. She could feel Helaena's wide grin against her neck. She was sure Helaena could feel hers as well. She pulled back from the girl, very reluctantly. She turned back to Rhaenyra to say something, but she was rendered silent by the older woman's smile. Her mind was blank as she opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water. Corlys had just recently taught her that expression, and she thought it fit this situation well.