aurora XXI

just popping in to apologize for going MIA for a few days. my christmas tree caught on fire then, in the chaos, my dog ran away. its all good now though. for anyone that reads my other story, im hoping to get chapter 6 written and uploaded tonight :) (if not tonight, tomorrow. ive been up for like 36 hours straight)

two weeks later

"You're not focused," she was scolded for the nth time that day. She would disagree, just as she had every time he told her that. She was focused. She just wasn't combating every single hit in her direction with the maximum speed her body allowed. She hadn't even been doing this for long, not even a whole moon, but she was, apparently, not doing a good job.

"Perhaps if you spoke more clearly, I would understand," she told him, not in an unkind way. He had a habit of talking to her, and 'teaching' her, in terms that he thought she should just understand naturally. He used terms soldiers and knights used. She needed simple terms. It was why she preferred training with Aemond, but he had fallen ill. She wasn't going to train while he was ill, but Daemon had offered that day, and Aemond was asleep. She didn't see why she shouldn't train. She deeply regretted it now, though.

"Give her a break, Uncle. She's worked harder than any of us did growing up," Jace came to her rescue. She flashed him a grateful smile. It fell when she looked back at Daemon.

"Your father is an accomplished knight. How do you plan on taking him down if you cannot fight?" Her uncle asked her. She didn't plan for it to come to a fight, but no one else knew that. Only Aemond, and presumably the part of her family that knows her all too well, knew that she was using training as a way to quiet her mind. It worked wonders. She's been doing better ever since she picked up a sword. All of the rage she felt at her father, more herself, could be healthily transferred through the slash of a blade.

She wasn't fully better, but she was getting there. This time around, she felt like she was stronger during her healing process. She felt stronger with every passing day. With each day, the ability to breathe came easier. With each day, the need to have someone hold her hand while she washed her hair lessened. With each day, she was eating more and more. With each day, she was healing.

"You're right, Uncle. I am distracted," she lied. "I worry for my betrothed. I hate that he's alone up there."

"We both know Helaena is with him," Daemon dryly stated, tapping his sword against the ground, indicating they were about to go again. She was just glad he opted against the real swords like he had initially wanted to.

Aurora narrowed her eyes at Jace. He was the closest thing she had to Helaena at the moment, so he would have to deal with that. He just apologetically smiled at her before continuing to spar with his brother.

"Aurora! He's asking for you!" Someone shouted just as Daemon lunged at her. She fell to the ground as she turned around. The panic she felt was only there for a few seconds before she took a deep breath, telling herself she was safe. She wasn't hurt. She was home.

She got up and rushed towards the couple walking to the beach. She pressed a fleeting kiss against Baela's cheek, "Thank you! I love you."

Baela laughed, gripping her elbows as she leaned in, "Is he being-"

"Yes."

Aegon decided to make his voice known, "Perhaps you just aren't focused enough."

Aurora didn't know just how Aegon heard that. She slowly turned her head to face him, narrowing her eyes, "Oh?"

She felt a smirk appear on her face when she saw the smug glint in his eyes. She grabbed his arm and turned back to Daemon, shouting, "Uncle! Aegon wishes to train with you!"